Nearly Road-Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearly Road-Ready

Phew. It's been a long while since the GS ran as it should, but it's getting closer and closer to go-time. I've pretty much overhauled all the major systems, with the exception of the engine itself. 11k miles from the previous owners, all evidence pointed to signs of an easy life. The 5k or so I put on it were mostly pretty light, with the exception of a couple high speed blasts to see what WOT acceleration was like (FUN!). Since I love a good list, here's one regarding the services I've completed, as well as the services I've currently got the parts for. I should be starting the shake-down process next weekend, assuming my Carbtune arrives in time.

$1 Throttle Mod
    New Tires (Sport Demons)
    530 Chain Conversion
    Rebuilt Cam Chain Tensioner
    Refreshed/Upgraded Front Forks (Progressive)
    Replaced Rear Shocks (Progressive)
    Disable Anti-Dive (Bolt Method)
    Replace Coils (Dyna)
    Replaced Ignition Wires (Accel)
    Replaced Stator (Electrosport)
    Replaced RR (Electrosport)
    Cleaned/Replaced All Connections
    Performed Electrical Inspection Per The Stator Papers
    Coil Relay Mod (Posplayr's Version)
    High Performance Grounding (Posplayr's Version)
    Rebuilt Front Calipers
    Rebuilt Front Master Cylinder
    New Front Pads (EBC)
    Rebuilt Rear Calipers
    Rebuilt Rear Master Cylinder
    New Rear Pads (EBC)
    Stainless Brake Lines
    A.P.E HD Clutch Basket (Work done by A.P.E.)
    A.P.E. Clutch Hub Nut
    Barnett Clutch Springs (50/50 Mix With OEM)
    New OEM Clutch Fibers
    Replaced Oil Pump Gears (750 Version, OEM)
    Replaced Clutch Cable
    Replaced Throttle Cable
    Replaced Clutch Cable
    Replaced Speedo Cable
    Replaced Tach Oil Seal
    Replaced Oil Pan Gasket
    Replaced Stator Cover Gasket
    Replaced Clutch Gasket
    Replaced Valve Cover Gasket
    Replaced Exhaust Gaskets
    Rebuilt Carbs Per The Carb Rebuild Series
    Installed New Carb O-Rings
    Installed DynoJet Kit (Stage 1)
    Replaced Air Filter
    Replaced Filter Housing to Air Box Boot
    Replaced Air Box to Carb Boots
    Replaced Carb to Engine Boots
    Cleaned And Sealed Gas Tank (POR)
    Replaced All Fuel/Vent/Vacuum Hoses
    A Million Other Small Pieces I'm Probably Forgetting

I've also ordered a top end oiler kit from Greg B, should be installed in time for the shake-down runs. That's the body of work I've done since I purchased the bike about a year ago. It's certainly taught me a whole metric crap-ton about working on motorcycles, and a whole lot about patience, seeing as how I haven't ridden her since late January. I get a little giddy thinking about going for a nice 200+ mile ride though the desert again. Not to mention, she's more or less a brand new bike now, with the amount of stuff I've rebuilt/replaced. That's it for the hard stuff, soon it'll be time to just ride, and start saving cash for Round Two: Aesthetics and Ergonomics.

How much did you spend? Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post

Now THERE'S a topic none of us want to 'fess up to...

Sounds like you're chompin' at the bit to get her screaming down the road!!

Good luck with her, you have done an awful lot of work... and judging by the content of all your previous posts, the work you've done is of good quality...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
        Now THERE'S a topic none of us want to 'fess up to...
        Ha +1. I stopped counting a long time ago.

Congrats on almost being done. I hope to be there someday.

Comment

Yea, how much did you spend?

For me, there is how much I've actually spent, how much I claim to have spent, and how much I tell the wife I spent.

E

Comment

Originally posted by Demonthrall View Post
            Probably about three grand. That includes paint for the calipers, chain lube, bearing grease, ect. It does not include the initial purchase. Everything I purchased for the bike, I've kept track of. I love a good spreadsheet just as much as I love a good list.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
              Ha +1. I stopped counting a long time ago.

Congrats on almost being done. I hope to be there someday.
              I could probably estimate my ED expenses in terms of the number of early model Bandits I could have purchased instead

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                Probably about three grand. That includes paint for the calipers, chain lube, bearing grease, ect. It does not include the initial purchase. Everything I purchased for the bike, I've kept track of. I love a good spreadsheet just as much as I love a good list.
                So your at about 1 Bandit;

Rookie

Comment

Right on Turtle!!! Let me know when you get used to it & get bored with the power & we will REALLY have some fun!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    So your at about 1 Bandit;

Rookie
                    Yep! Only other parts I need to purchase are a Pingel, an oil cooler, and a fork brace. However, this is just to get me to a baseline, everything on the bike working as intended from the factory, or better in case where an improvement could be had for less than obtaining OEM replacements. Next step is ergonomics. The plan is to replace or modify (mostly replace) all the controls, the seat, and the mirrors. I'd like to make the bike as adjustable as possible, and to minimize head movement during mirror checks. Then on to aesthetics. Paint, powdercoating, engine painting, carb painting, assorted hardware painting/powdercoating/anodizing. While I've got it all stripped, I'll be adding the M-unit and a new harness. There'll be new gauges, switch gear, signals, and headlights. Then it'll be time to update the suspension to late model pieces, brakes, and radials. After all that's sorted, it'll be time to build a completely over-the-top engine. Something like ~165-175 RWHP (yes, I'll be sure to call you when the time comes Ray!) and dead reliable. That order's not necessarily set in stone. I plan on going top-notch for everything, since I'm keeping this GS for the long-haul, so I'm thinking I could fill a few garages with the number of Bandits I anticipate it taking, but I think it'll be fun. I should probably actually buy a Bandit for riding while the GS is under construction. The withdrawal from riding I'm currently experiencing is nigh unbearable! And I could ride it to work periodically in the middle of summer, instead of trying to bicycle in ~115 degree heat every day. I think the S models are pretty nice. The hard part will be resisting the temptation to modify it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2010, 07:52 AM.

Comment

$3000 is not bad, I am not even going to begin to calculate what I have in the two that I have....

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        $3000 is not bad, I am not even going to begin to calculate what I have in the two that I have....
                        And you've got that new GSXR-750 to boot. I really want a classic GSXR as well, but there's no way I could leave it along, so the next bike really needs to be a solid commuter/tourer/hauler of groceries. This motorcycling habit is terribly addictive.

Comment

Working...
                        X