While the engine is out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the engine is out...

Hi all! First poster here...I've been reading tons of posts here, and there's tons of useful information, lots of helepful people, too!

Anyway, just picked up a 1980 GS1000 Shaft Drive, and I'm planning on doing a cafe racer with it. I've stripped the whole bike down to the frame, and I'm wondering if it would be easier to do certain things while the bike is stripped.

Here's what I have planned so far:

Clean and paint frame (and all parts)
    Clean carbs
    Check Valve Clearance
    General tune up (Oil, Filter, Fuel Filter, Plugs and Wires, Clean Gas Tank)

We are also missing the bottom part of the airbox, the part that holds the filter in. Needless to say, since this is missing, the previous owner did something weird and sandwiched a piece of cardboard where the filter goes, and poked holes in it until the bike ran properly!

Anyway, I'm looking for the airbox lid and air stock air filter, does anybody have part numbers or website for stock or OEM spec parts? Believe me, I've searched, but it's difficult to ascertain whether the parts are for a 1980 or for earlier generations. I don't want any fancy parts, I only want to get the bike into stock running condition.

So if anybody has recommendations about what I should do to the engine or frame, etc. while the bike is torn apart, or where I can find stock airbox and filters, please let me know!

Thanks for the info and support!

Aaron

Why even try to make a cafe racer out of one of the heaviest bikes around?
    Get a 650 L or something to cut up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, it's actually my brother's bike. I am helping him put it together...but really, the name of the game is cheap. He got the motorcycle pretty cheap, it runs good, and he's going to tune it up, church it up a little and ride it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but he already has the Gs1000, it's already in parts; the engine is on the floor in the garage. so it's a little late to pull out now.

Any suggestions on replacing parts that are easier accessed while it's torn apart so that we don't get the engine back in and realize, "oops, shoulda replaced that while the engine was out."?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronius View Post
        Well, it's actually my brother's bike. I am helping him put it together...but really, the name of the game is cheap. He got the motorcycle pretty cheap, it runs good, and he's going to tune it up, church it up a little and ride it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but he already has the Gs1000, it's already in parts; the engine is on the floor in the garage. so it's a little late to pull out now.

Any suggestions on replacing parts that are easier accessed while it's torn apart so that we don't get the engine back in and realize, "oops, shoulda replaced that while the engine was out."?

Thanks
        Do the carb o-rings. Those intakes are much easier to remove when the motor is off the frame.

Do a search on it, can be a bit tricky.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Why even try to make a cafe racer out of one of the heaviest bikes around?
          Get a 650 L or something to cut up.
          Shutup!
          If he wants to hack it up then let him hack it up.
          Uglyass bikes anyway!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            Shutup!
            Uglyass bikes anyway!
            Do the carb o-rings. Those intakes are much easier to remove when the motor is off the frame.

Do a search on it, can be a bit tricky.
            Thanks Octain! Both for the support in hacking up a tired old bike, and also for the suggestion! That's exactly the kind of advice I'm after...O rings...check....

Aaron

Comment

You can get the parts at an online store, such as bikebandit or babbitsonline.

Comment

Shutup!
                Uglyass bikes anyway!
                I assume you're joking. Otherwise you're making a lot of guys mad at you.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  I assume you're joking. Otherwise you're making a lot of guys mad at you.
                  I think all bikes from that era are ugly. So ugly they're cool!
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronius View Post
                    Thanks Octain! Both for the support in hacking up a tired old bike, and also for the suggestion! That's exactly the kind of advice I'm after...O rings...check....

Aaron

Dont mind the uptight purists around these parts(they know Im kidding). I've always liked a good hackjob if its done with style and taste.
                    I like the factory restos too but they're easy. Take it apart clean and replace tired old parts and put it back together.
                    It takes skill, imagination and a lot of thought to make one into something its not.
                    Just take your time and measure twice or three times and cut once.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                    X