Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Suspension Adjuster Stuck

Hi All

So I have been playing around with my new 84 GSX 550 and the rear suspension seems a bit soft. I notice that it has an adjuster on the side to set the preload and go to give it a few turns. No go. It is stuck solid. It moves maybe a mil or two in either direction, but I think that it just some play in the knob.

Any ideas? Could it just be stuck, because it hasn't been moved in a long time? Will brute force work or should I pull it all out and disassemble?

cheers
    Scott

I think your setup is basically the same as my 700 was stock. One adjuster for preload and another with 4 positions for damping. The preload is hydraulic and the damping is cable actuated. You probably have some corrosion behind the knob. Pull the screw out of the center and check the condition of things behind the knob. It's about the only thing that could be causing your problem. Avoid removing the hydraulic line for now so you don't lose any fluid.

Comment

It could also be the other end... the collar on the shock that moves under the hydraulic pressure could be rusted to the shock body.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        It could also be the other end... the collar on the shock that moves under the hydraulic pressure could be rusted to the shock body.
        Just thinking since it won't turn at all it might be up top. You could be absolutely right though.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree or maybe a combination of both if it's not moving at all....

By the way - even perfectly free you have to put a bit of effort in to turn it!
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X