'81 GS450 Bobber Project Start to 97% Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS450 Bobber Project Start to 97% Finished

So here is my bobber project from start to finish. Thanks to anyone who answered all my dumb questions!

So for the most part here is is when I bought it. Forgot to take a picture of it when I first got home, but only really took the seat off at this point. There was a bit of rust, a lot of scratches and peeling paint, it ran like crap, but I liked it and had plans for it.

So at this point I had taken a bit more of the stuff off and put the drag bars on to see how that felt.

Down to the frame. Time to measure out and plan how I'm going to make the hardtail work.

Blammo! Hardtail Frame! Amazing what you can do with a sawz all, an angle grinder and a welder.

Mock up with tank, fender, and solo seat.

Primered and Painted

Done and done.

Just need to get it tuned right (running really lean b/c of intake, exhaust and altitude), fix the blinker relay (got indicators, just not blinking), and fix the front brake indicator (rear works and I use both all the time so not that big of deal)

Lemme know what ya think!

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raerickson View Post

Mock up with tank, fender, and solo seat.
        Is that a Nissan 240SX I see up there
        I never really liked bobbers but I appreciate the craftmanship. Good job

Comment

I am another one that has never understood the concept, but yours seems to at least be rather well-done.

The concept probably works well for hopping from bar to bar.
          My problem is that I don't drink, and anything less than 100 miles or so is just a teaser.
          I just can't see doing anything close to 100 miles on a hardtail.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by raerickson View Post
            Just need to get it tuned right (running really lean b/c of intake, exhaust and altitude), fix the blinker relay (got indicators, just not blinking), and fix the front brake indicator (rear works and I use both all the time so not that big of deal)
            The indicators probably just need an automotive relay, I got smaller signals and I had to do the same thing. They aren't very expensive. You might have a problem inspecting it if both brake levers don't trigger the light. Probably depends on where you take it, but I know I spent 30 min or so tweaking my front brake switch last time I took it in. I am considering a hydraulic switch for both our bikes this year.

Comment

Tuning

Looking forward to what you come up with on tuning the carbs. many people have tried to tune these little guys with pods and non-stock pipes with only marginal success.....

Scott

Comment

looks great!

that's exactly what i want my bike to look like. i was wondering if you could run me through the cutting and welding process really quick?!

Comment

I know this is an old posting but how did you bolt up your fuel tank. I'm building a bike like this but need and ideal on the tank.

Comment

Working...
                  X