• Show
Clear All

manual cam chain tensioner?

Anybody ever put a manual one on a GS?
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
    Lotsa guys! MOST of the dragbike guys, and most guys who've modded the motors will use manuals. I plan on installing one on my ES that a good guy is hanging on to for me, once I get the OTHER parts he's given me paid off. However, I would ask why you were curious about installing one? Is yours malfunctioning?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Any ideas where to get one?
      Current Bikes:

Comment

Yes...I have one on my drag bike and on my street GS1100E....

Probably not a real good reason to put one on a street bike, but I just like manual stuff...
        I use a Pingal petcock too...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Any ideas where to get one?
          APE sells em, you can also find em on Ebay.. 50ish bucks. You might double check that the bolt hole spacing on your motor is the same for say a 1100E, or 1000E. Those are what they are mostly made for.. Pretty sure it will work, but, I dont want to tell you something that isnt true and have ya spend money on something..

Comment

Thanks. I'll check into it. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but is there any way to change one without pulling the carbs?
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Thanks. I'll check into it. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but is there any way to change one without pulling the carbs?
              Sure. Not without a lot of cussing though You can get in there, but you can only turn the wrench maybe a 1/8 turn at a time, so its simply faster to remove the carbs.. If ya want sir, you could bring it by after monday (im on vacation till the 5th) and I could give you a hand. Or i could simply come by if you need a hand, but I have all the tools to go fast at the house..

I just rebuilt and reinstalled a stock tensioner on my ES that was leaking like a stuck pig. Hope it stopped it. We shall see though. But I have pods, so the carbs on my bike are a 5 minute in and out job..

Comment

I just didn't know if there was room to pull it out. And I appreciate the offer Josh, but I can handle it ok. Just trying to cut corners again. Plus, I'm sure you have enough on your plate right now anyway. I'm not even sure if there's a problem with my tensioner or not. All I know is there's this annoying ticking, and when it's idling. it sounds like something is loose. So, I was thinking it might be the cam chain because I've adjusted the valves to within spec already. Still pontificating about what to do/look at.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

I just didn't know if there was room to pull it out. And I appreciate the offer Josh, but I can handle it ok. Just trying to cut corners again. Plus, I'm sure you have enough on your plate right now anyway. I'm not even sure if there's a problem with my tensioner or not. All I know is there's this annoying ticking, and when it's idling. it sounds like something is loose. So, I was thinking it might be the cam chain because I've adjusted the valves to within spec already. Still pontificating about what to do/look at.
                  My 1000G did the same thing.. Never could figure out what it was. May have been the dreaded cam end walk. Doesnt hurt anything. Rode it like a scalded dog and never a problem. Just a noise that makes ya wonder. Ive often noticed that from motor to motor, some of these old GSs just sound like threshing machines even when they run like champs.. I guess just cause they're old air cooled, no water jacket to deaden the noises..

Comment

2 bolt mounting is all the same and interchangeable(GS stuff).
                    if you have a 3 bolt well then good luck.
                    a person can modify their factory tensioner to a manual type.
                    not as pretty but you only spend maybe 3 or 4 bucks(or less) and it does the same exact job.

Comment

Do tell please.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      2 bolt mounting is all the same and interchangeable(GS stuff).
                      if you have a 3 bolt well then good luck.
                      a person can modify their factory tensioner to a manual type.
                      not as pretty but you only spend maybe 3 or 4 bucks(or less) and it does the same exact job.

Comment

GregB here, the same guy that makes the top end oilers, makes manual tensioners for the 16 valve GSs & sells them for 35 bucks WITH a new gasket! Nice billet aluminum piece with Grade 8 parts. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          GregB here, the same guy that makes the top end oilers, makes manual tensioners for the 16 valve GSs & sells them for 35 bucks WITH a new gasket! Nice billet aluminum piece with Grade 8 parts. Ray.
                          WOW thats a low price!!

Seriously though, Terry has a APE for me, but in the future Id like one of those puppies... Billet is tasty

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            WOW thats a low price!!

Seriously though, Terry has a APE for me, but in the future Id like one of those puppies... Billet is tasty
                            ape is billet/anodized billet ya goof

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              ape is billet/anodized billet ya goof
                              I know! But MORE billet is always better.. Its just too bad my 750 is the older type and cant have a manual tensioner...unless of course he makes a three bolt too Ray??

Comment

Working...
                              X