Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet temptation '82 450L

Hi folks,

Looks like you've got quite bit of knowledge wrapped up in these threads, I've had a lot of fun perusing over the last few days ... but now it's time for my maiden post.... here goes

I've found an '82 450L for $450 and am considering it for my first bike. She's a craig's list find (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1748810463.html). Seller claims she starts fine but chokes out with throttle applied. Promises a road ready bike is just a carb kit away.

So I visit to the auto repair shop where she's living and see the seller's mechanic has the carb out and is giving it a clean... seems he may have beat me to the punch. Cosmetically she's a bit of a dog but oddly that makes the attraction stronger! (I'll post pics in the next post ... as soon as i figure out how!)

Here's the current plan.
    1. Give the mechanic a shot at getting her running
    2. Bring a bike savvy co-worker by to give a second opinion
    3. Continue to sleep on it to see if "reality" sets in and I realize I'm over my head!!
    4. If the bike runs "well enough" and the buddy gives a thumb up ... game on!

A little bit about me
    1. I'm a young guy lacking in wisdom but sure as hell love a challenge
    2. I'd like to think I'm mechanically inclined. I do engineering 9-5 and enjoy all-consuming hobbies.
    3. To be honest practicality has never been my strong suit. Passion usually wins over careful planning.
    4. I'll be apartment living for the duration of this project. I have a good work bench but not a lot of space. The bike will have to live outside ... covered of course.
    5. I've got the usual compliment of drivers, wrenches, and ratchets etc... and a little bit of extra cash flow (~$150/mo.) to throw at tools and or parts as I go along.
    So I'm hoping one of you may have a punch list for vetting old bikes. Anyone think I'm biting off too much taking on a project like this as a first bike? Any cautionary tales from others who were at this junction? If not... hey I'm more than happy to be pushed over the ledge!!

Pics on the way!!

Your truly in manic hobby-dom,

Brad

and some pics

pics

Comment

side back .............

Comment

exhaust pitting ...............

Comment

from the rear............

Comment

tire sidewall cracking........

Comment

engine view........

Comment

Welcome To GS Ownership

Well first of all welcome...Look around the newcomers forum and save Basscliffs great big welcome.....its an invaluable source of information. Then just run through the threads and you will see that many peeps here love the 450. I will say if it runs it is a better deal than I got. The pitted pipes...no prob....a wire brush and a can of exhaust hi temp spray paint and the will look fine. (black pipes into chrome mufflers...sweet) The seat...they make covers for them or just send it down to the local upholstery shop and get it covered in what you want....lol. As far as where to start....if i starts and runs already and runs well...then all you have to do is pretty i up... and look on the GSR home page some good tips there too. Well hope this was useful and make the search feature your friend.... Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to the forums

First of all, I suggest setting up a photobucket account. That way you can post bigger pictures straight into the post instead of as attachments. Saves us the trouble by not having to click the attachment lol.

It looks like you got a nice bike. Far better than my old one. Keep us posted.

Comment

Welcome and good choice on the '450

Tool wise get a set of Japan Industrial Standard (JIS) screw drivers or bits as a lot of the screws are not Phillips Head, even though they look like there are.

I still have yet to get some myself but I believe it makes life a lot easier than stripping screw heads...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                      Welcome to the forums

First of all, I suggest setting up a photobucket account. That way you can post bigger pictures straight into the post instead of as attachments. Saves us the trouble by not having to click the attachment lol.
                      HA! Wouldn't want to pull muscle ;-) Thanks for the photobucket suggestion it looks easy to use...in fact here's closeup of the engine:

Comment

Yay! Bigger pictures!

But the engine looks real dirty. Maybe you can try Purple Power or Simple Green. They work great for cleaning engines and a lot of other stuff. Just spray it all over the place, let it sit over night, then get a garden hose set to the highest pressure, and wash away.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          Welcome and good choice on the '450

Tool wise get a set of Japan Industrial Standard (JIS) screw drivers or bits
                          found a set on mcmaster for pretty cheap (shocking!!)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=78zepl

though a set of bits might be more useful? couldn't find any JIS bits though.

Comment

welcome aboard! good to see another 450 owner.

Comment

perhaps a better idea?

So while i was waiting to buy the '82 450L fixer up'er I found this bike posted in VA ... and wouldn't you know I'm heading that way for the holiday weekend? $1300 for pretty good cosmetics and very good mechanics. It's also an '82 450L. check out the CL post here: http://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/1759280569.html

Looks like I'll be bringing home a new toy on Monday!!

Take a look:

more to come on monday

Comment

Working...
                              X