Rear Tire, GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire, GS850

Big day today: did the rear tire, and went ahead and did a valve clearance check too, plus a couple other odds and ends.

A couple points of interest:

The bead was kinda hard to break this time (IRC). I ended up using a 6" C clamp. It worked, but not real well.

I was a little more liberal with the Murphy's oil soap this time, and the new tire (Bridgestone) seated fine, with only about 40psi.

I checked the balance after mounting, and the heavy spot was opposite the valve stem (I put the yellow paint at the stem). It seemed fine at 65mph this evening.

I also put a little grease on the splines on the wheel assembly, and the drive part, and it went together easier than the first time I did it.

Hi,

I love happy endings! <sniff>

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah, riding that thing again .

Thanks for the pictorial on valve clearance checking, Cliff. It was easier to go through that to refresh my memory than reading Clymer. Thanks to the other guy who posted the Word document detailing the factory method (12:00 on some of the lobes, etc.). I don't remember where I got that.

I've got a little hesitation in the high rpms that I'm going to hit the turnpike to check out in a bit. It's hard to redline through more than second gear on the regular roads without getting risky in the ticket department . That hesitation may have been there already.

But, I'm in the wrong category for motor perf...

Comment

Working...
      X