Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice little Calif, Nevada, Utah, Arizona loop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice little Calif, Nevada, Utah, Arizona loop.

I'm trying to talk myself into this. I want to go before it gets hotter and the schools are all out (more traffic). June 6-9 is my plan. Approx' 2,000 miles? The idea just kind of hit me. I've never been on a ride like this and I just want to go before I get too old. The trip to Bruce's in '08 gave me the bug. I'll stay in a motel at night and just take what fits in my backpack.
    From the L.A. area I'll head up through Death Valley and up to Tonopah, Nev. Then east along the 6/375/319 to Cedar City, Utah. Then the 14/89/12 to Escalante, Utah. Continue on the 12 to the 24 and Torrey, Utah. Then down the 95 to Blanding, Utah. Then the 160/163 to Tuba City, Arizona. Then up the 89 through Page and to Kanab, Utah. Next, hit the 9 west to St. George then probably the 18 to reconnect with the 319, etc, to get back home.
    I want to avoid the 15 but it will take longer. This loop will take me through some fairly desolate parts of Nevada first. More miles to get to Cedar City but the 15 is busy and boring so I hope it's worth it. Once I head east from CC it will get better and better as I remember from my camping trips in the cage. Always wanted to do this on a bike.
    I'll pass through forests, Bryce Canyon, the Grand staircase of the Escalante, part of the Burr trail, Capitol Reef, then down the 95 through Natural Bridges and the "cockscomb" ridge. I've always wanted to hit the ridge at high speed. If you saw it you'd know what I mean. I don't know if cops hang there so I'll just do what feels right.
    I'll continue on through Monument Valley (remember where the old John Ford/John Wayne westerns were shot at?) Then over Lake Powell, the Paria Plateau, Vermilion Cliffs, and finally through Zion. I'm sure there's much I haven't mentioned. I could go "backwards" too but haven't decided what's best. This idea just came up and I'm working on the details. Roughly 500 miles a day. Not sure what I'm getting into.
    This will be on the ZX14. Not as comfortable as the GS but faster if I want it to be. I hope I'll actually go. Quite a ride, at least for me. Only thing that will stop me is if the forecast says rain. I don't like rain. My dates seem good. Not too hot or cold. A little later and the thunderstorms can come at any time. If it really looked like rain in the area then I may wait for sometime in early October but I really want to go now.
    Any of you been on this ride or parts of, I'd appreciate any experience you have. Motels, gas, places to eat, cop hiding spots, etc.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Trip of a lifetime. DO IT !! If you can...slow down.....maybe take an extra day or 3...or 4.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Do it, some of those areas are beautiful, and great riding too. We might pass you in Escalante, should be there about the same day.
      Unless we go somewhere else.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Does anyone have a favorite "road conditions" site? I'm going through a couple of passes near 10,000 feet and I want to check ahead.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Trip of a lifetime. DO IT !! If you can...slow down.....maybe take an extra day or 3...or 4.
          It started as a daydream but now I really want to do it.
          I've added a couple days to slow down and enjoy as you say. Trying to space the miles with a place to stay is a little challenging but I'm working on it. Not many larger towns on parts of the route.
          Only issue I have is weather. I'm hoping for a dry ride and will keep checking the forecasts. I'm also going to check for road conditions. I have about 3 passes that are over 9,000 ft and I wonder if there could be snow that time of year.
          If anyone has a favorite road conditions site, please share.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. One suggestion is when get through the cockscomb on 95 stop, turn around, do it again and then go south on 261, it takes you through some pretty neat spots and come on 263 near Mexican Hat. The rest of your loop that includes Blanding is quite bland, pun intended, and it will cut off some mileage to boot. Google Moki Dugway, it says gravel but if there is any it's real hard pack and only for a couple miles. Also if you need a nice side trip when you get near Tuba City, go to the North Rim Grand Canyon, couple of hours out of the way and not as busy as the south rim, maybe make it an overnight stop. If you cut off before Tuba City on 98 it will save you some miles also. Mentioned 89 from Page to Kanab but you might try ALT 89, we've that and it was pretty scenic, never did the 89 though so can't comment. ALT 89 has Paria Canyon that was an old movie set, I think it got pretty run down so they burned it down a few years ago. Buckskin Gulch is right there to if you want to hike an easily accessible slot canyon. Check at the Ranger Station on the highway, they'll have conditions posted.

EDIT: I should have said I've never been on ALT 89 and Paria and Buckskin are actually on 89. If it looks like rain do not go into Paria, you'll not get back out until the road dries out. Have a great trip.
            Last edited by Sandy; 06-04-2010, 02:43 PM. Reason: info update
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Of course you are going to take that trip. Why would you not? Neither you nor your bike will be getting any newer.

Get a set of Frog Toggs. You can never control the weather, but you can limit how much the weather controls you. My rule of thumb is that anyone can get caught in the rain; it takes a fool to start out in the rain. There is an adventure element to any motorcycle trip. It is why you take a motorcycle trip. Otherwise you take a car trip.

Get yourself setup for satellite radio or MP3 for the less exiting stretches.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                Sounds like a great trip. One suggestion is when get through the cockscomb on 95 stop, turn around, do it again and then go south on 261, it takes you through some pretty neat spots and come on 263 near Mexican Hat. The rest of your loop that includes Blanding is quite bland, pun intended, and it will cut off some mileage to boot. Google Moki Dugway, it says gravel but if there is any it's real hard pack and only for a couple miles. Also if you need a nice side trip when you get near Tuba City, go to the North Rim Grand Canyon, couple of hours out of the way and not as busy as the south rim, maybe make it an overnight stop. If you cut off before Tuba City on 98 it will save you some miles also. Mentioned 89 from Page to Kanab but you might try ALT 89, we've that and it was pretty scenic, never did the 89 though so can't comment. ALT 89 has Paria Canyon that was an old movie set, I think it got pretty run down so they burned it down a few years ago. Buckskin Gulch is right there to if you want to hike an easily accessible slot canyon. Check at the Ranger Station on the highway, they'll have conditions posted.

EDIT: I should have said I've never been on ALT 89 and Paria and Buckskin are actually on 89. If it looks like rain do not go into Paria, you'll not get back out until the road dries out. Have a great trip.
                Thanks for the info Sandy.
                Since this is something far different than anything I've ever done, I have no idea if I'll be wanting to add miles or get off and shoot myself.
                I already made a reservation at Blanding. Having a place to stay is really important as I figure to be a tad road weary at the end of each day(?) I hope not though. Also, if the NBA Finals go to a game 7 then I've GOT to see it. ABC should be received in Mexican Hat and Bluff but the hotels I contacted there didn't sound too sure. San Juan Inn wouldn't even answer me. Blanding does receive it. The 3 hotels I contacted at Mex and Bluff were already full. I hope the Lakers have disposed of their filthy foe before then. I'm hoping in 5 games so I can still see it on my new TV. Seems silly mixing a ride like this with basketball but the timing was my best compromise. Any later and the weather gets even hotter and the thunderstorms are too frequent. Much sooner and I hear the 14 and parts of the 12 can have snow. But when I think of the possibility of me sitting alone in front of a tiny little TV FOR GAME 7 !!!, a jillion miles from home...
                I've never gone on the Mokee Dugway and I figured it was too rough for a street bike. I also was leary of going in a rental car (next trip) but now that you say it's not bad then I'll take the car on it. I'd like to see the Valley of the Gods finally.
                You KNOW I'll be checking out the cockscomb twice. When I first drove it I couldn't help but see myself on a bike.
                Then after Mexican Hat comes Monument Valley. I'm sure you know that section of the road they always show on commercials and in Forrest Gump where Tom Hanks was running. Straight shot. If it looks safe I'll be doing a little hi-speed test there.
                I've been on both the 89 and 89A. In fact, I'll be camping with my son the next month at the North Rim. Off hand I can't remember if one is better but I'll stick to my plan and go through Page/Kanab. Thinking about buying property in the area and want to go check it out anyway.
                I don't have the experience you do with long trips but I envy you when I read your stories. Even if I'm not as comfortable as I'd like to be I'd rather do this than put it off and never go. I'd really like to take the GS as I know it would be more comfortable than how the ZX is set up at this time. But I'll stick with the newer bike.
                This is also a test for the future as I'm thinking about buying something like an enduro type bike KLR650/Suz DR650? or whatever and seeing the country when I retire. You can take them anywhere and they are fairly comfortable I've been told. The KLR is water cooled, 6 gal tank, nice rack you can get...
                dpep, you're right. We're not getting any younger. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather. It's the only thing that would make me change my mind. Thanks for your reply and your positive point of view.
                Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 06-04-2010, 09:50 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Mokee Dugway, I'm going there.

89 is better than 89A, at least in hot weather as it gets to a lot higher elevation a lot quicker.

Heading up that way tomorrow AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Mokee Dugway, I'm going there.

89 is better than 89A, at least in hot weather as it gets to a lot higher elevation a lot quicker.

Heading up that way tomorrow AM.
                    I assume you're riding? Would have been nice to run into each other.
                    What places have you seen? Where did you start from? Has the weather been good?
                    I added a couple of days to my original plan. Good idea I think as the mileage per day would have been rushing things. The extra days also clashed with my sons graduation so I had to re-schedule.
                    If the weather outlook is good I'm leaving Monday the 14th and should be home on Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
                    Hope you got some pics to share. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Comment

Oh, meant to ask if you went on the 14 between Cedar City and the 89.
                      If so, how was the road and conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                        I assume you're riding? Would have been nice to run into each other.
                        What places have you seen? Where did you start from? Has the weather been good?
                        I added a couple of days to my original plan. Good idea I think as the mileage per day would have been rushing things. The extra days also clashed with my sons graduation so I had to re-schedule.
                        If the weather outlook is good I'm leaving Monday the 14th and should be home on Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
                        Hope you got some pics to share. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
                        Started in Phoenix, accidently positioned a bike there a couple months ago. Went to Page, North Rim, Jacob Lake, Kanab, up 89 to where Utah 12 goes east to Bryce Canyon, 12 through Escalante to Torrey, 24 to hanksville, down to the Moki Dugway, then over to Cortez and now Ouray, CO.

All in all a good time, poking around checking things out rather than burning huge mileage each day.

We might get home in a couple days, or so.

Oh, meant to ask if you went on the 14 between Cedar City and the 89.
                        If so, how was the road and conditions?
                        Kieth, roads are great, no snow anywhere, not much sand left either. Thanks to our wonderful economy, there is very little traffic, every hotel along the way has had vacancy. The gas at and before Page and after Blanding was .40 cheaper than between these places, not sure if that matters for your route...

Did not go from Cedar city, but on some other roads just as high, farther East. We're in Ouray, CO tonight. All roads through Arizona and Utah were good until in Colorado today, serious hail and nasty weather, but nothing slippery on any roads or on the peaks close above the roads, at least up to about 12,000ft or so.

Find the little road East from Boulder, Utah, it goes out about 25 miles before turning to gravel. Where highway 12 turns ninety degrees left and goes into town, this little road goes straight ahead. If you continue on this little road, it goes to either Capitol Reef, or South to rejoin the main road, can't remember the road number. We went out that far and came back, turned around before the gravel started, very cool road, great little canyon, prettiest one in the whole place. Took about a million pictures.

The Moki Dugway is impressive, well worth the side trip, but this road was way cooler.

Have fun.

Tom
                        Last edited by tkent02; 06-12-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Tom, glad you're enjoying your trip and thanks for the info.
                          I've been weather watching and the reports kept saying wet weather in the Cedar City through Torrey areas. Hope you avoided it somehow. The weather is going to get better I'm told. The low pressure is moving out. Only thing keeping it from real nice is some wind. I'm still planning to leave on Monday. I've never really given wind that much thought, I mean as in "mph". At what speed does it get to be a problem? I'm reading possible 20 mph with gusts of 40 mph. That's in the area between Beatty, Nev and Cedar City. Still some wind coming in Utah around Wednesday but not as strong. My distance from Beatty to CC will be about 375 miles so I hope I'm not fighting wind too much. Could be a bit tiring huh?
                          That little road you mention near Boulder is the Burr Trail. It was paved recently despite many complaints. It draws the "Escalade crowd" now. As you say, it's really nice there.
                          I figured there should be vacancies along the way but I went ahead and made reservations anyway. Staying at Motel 6 on days 1,2,5 and 6. Boulder View Inn in Torrey and Four Corners Inn in Blanding.
                          Be safe. Have a great ride.
                          Keith.

Comment

Wind, it's more of a pain in the butt than a problem.
                            At least in Utah and other mountainous places it's not usually continuous, more swirling intermittent, windy one moment, calm the next. The long continuous crosswinds like in Kansas or North Dakota really get tiring.

Don't let the wind stop you, we have been having a blast, even on the windiest days.

Comment

That little road you mention near Boulder is the Burr Trail. It was paved recently despite many complaints. It draws the "Escalade crowd" now.
                              Not drawing much of a crowd at all, maybe three cars, one motor home and one guy on a Concours.

That's about it, for the whole 50 or so miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X