New tires, what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires, what else?

Hello all, being a newby to motorcycles im extremely glad that there is such a great following for the bike I happened to buy.

Now on to my question:
    I am going to replace both tires. My question is in regards to what else I should do while doing that.
    I plan to do a brake fuid flush, how easy/hard is it to replace the brake lines while im at it, or check out the cylinders, ect.
    Or anything that I might be missing...

Normally, I would just do everything I could, but the last time I touched my bike (engine/shaft oil change) some bolts stripped, I wasnt able to get the transmission oil drain bolt out (I used a mity vac), and had to replace the studs for the oil filter (including using a torch to get them out). So, for fear of spending 150 hours dealing with old fasteners, what can I get away with not touching, and what is imperative to check/change/touch/ect. for safety or good practice reasons.

Oh, new intake o-rings and regulator/rectifier. I took apart my carbs to try and figure out a high idle-when warm problem, stripping half the screws in the process (need an impact driver, now I know..), I then sent my bike to a shop to fix the problem after that for fastener fear. $700 later, theres no way in hell my bike is ever going back to that shop.

Thanks in advance.

Our bikes do not fare well in shops.
    You need to get an impact driver, as you know. Those screws have been in there for decades, after all.
    Replacing the brake lines with stainless steel units is quite easy. Check out the pads while you are there, replace them if they are getting thin. You have a front and a rear master cylinder, check them both. You'll find lots of brake info on BassCliff's web site. He'll be along shortly with his megawelcome and links.
    I suggest changing the fluids in your front and rear transfer cases, BassCliff calls them Secondary and Final Drive.
    Best of luck, and welcome to the site.

Comment

Today 12:07 PM koolaid_kid Our bikes do not fare well in shops.
      You need to get an impact driver, as you know. Those screws have been in there for decades, after all.Replacing the brake lines with stainless steel units is quite easy. Check out the pads while you are there, replace them if they are getting thin. You have a front and a rear master cylinder, check them both. You'll find lots of brake info on BassCliff's web site. He'll be along shortly with his megawelcome and links. I suggest changing the fluids in your front and rear transfer cases, BassCliff calls them Secondary and Final Drive.
      Best of luck, and welcome to the site.
      + 1, I would also recommend while the tire is off you pull the spline hub out of the wheel and inspect it. As George mentioned an impact driver is mandatory for these bikes. If I have something I have not taken off before I will try to use PB blaster or similar and spray the fastener in question for several days before even putting a wrench on it if you can. Usually they will pop right off. If you are planning on keeping the bike and doing the stainless line upgrade a brake rebuild is a good thing to do at that time. Use the OEM replacement kits, they are about 30 per caliper as I recall and cheap insurance IMHO.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Pickup a manual and do ALL of the maintenence in it. Dont worry about mileage or age at all. Do it now and know its been done for sure. Ive had guys tell me this or that was done, and I crack a cover open to check and you could tell its been neglected for years or more. Just do it and do it right.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!`

Hi Mr. alnmike,

In your "mega-welcome" you will find a couple of maintenance lists that will lead you down the path of GS nirvana, if you take no shortcuts. If you stray from the path you will be cursed with stuttering performance, hard starts, dead batteries, and become stranded on the side of the path instead of riding briskly down the path. Do it right the first time. Let's get started...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you don't already have a service manual, I believe the 650G manual on BassCliff's site is very close to what you have.

Comment

I'm not sure you mentioned how long its been since anyone had ridden your bike. You did mention a problem with your carbs. While you are going thru Cliff's site take special attention to the carb cleaning section. Also you might want to look for Steve from oHIo and look at the bottom of his signature. That will help you with getting a valve adjustment.

Notice I said carb cleaning, don't waste time with rebuild kits.

Welcome aboard with your 650. Have any pics?

Comment

I don't really know how long it hasn't been ridden. Its got less than 9000 miles on it. Ive had it since last September-ish. Ridden it a couple times in a parking lot before it snowed. Then got my license this may and have been using it for my work commute (10mi each way) a couple times a week. The main gripes are the choke is very finicky, and the rear brake pulses (more noticeable at slower speeds, under 10mph its uncomfortable so i use the front then), so I think I might have a warped disc. Ill see when I change my tires, unless rotors are just cheap enough to replace. The fronts squeak a little bit.

Here are a couple pics of my friend heading to Girdwood and back last year. Sidenote: Anyone know where I could get a replacement cover logo for the part that's right in front and above the shift peg? I was told it fell off when the bike fell from its kickstand. I believe its supposed to say DOHC or something. Thanks.
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2010, 04:35 AM. Reason: pics

Comment

Hi,

Ebay is your friend.

Or you could always replace it with a generic aftermarket "Suzuki" emblem. See the vendor list in your "mega-welcome".

Brakes are pretty important. I'd look after that ASAP.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X