Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel type

Morning,
    Anyone know what gas the gs750 is engineered to run on? Premium or regular?

Regular, cheapo low octane junk.

With as little alcohol as possible.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Leaded
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That's what I thought but didn't have the owners manual. Anyone ever run premium?

Comment

You can & I have but there is no need. 8v manual states fuel of at least 87. 16v manual states 89 (but I still run 87 in mine).

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

95% premium

hi guys i,ve got a 1980 gs1000e and all i run since cleaning everything is premium in australia ...and it does not go off from standing as our standard unleaded does the bike ticks alomg nicely regards david

Comment

I got some 110LL airplane gas laying around! Want that?
              C'mon it's a nice and pretty blue color!!!
              Haha.
              ---------
              I pulled up to the pump last month and the gas clerk is like " premium right?"
              And I go...."uhhh no regular"

And he gave me that weird "alien" look like I just blew his mind or something.

I guess there's plenty of idiots out there that believe EVERYTHING should be run on premium, JUST because it says "premium"!!!

Geez.......i really can't stand people sometimes.

Comment

^^ A friend of mine has been telling me to run avgas through the fuel system in my new bike...whats the benefit of doing so?

Comment

Av-gas has anti-icing properties that are crucial to engines that operate at several thousand feet above ground level.

Just so you are aware, "octane" is not "power". In fact, "premium" gas (the stuff with the higher octane number) has fewer BTUs per gallon than "regular" gas.

The extra power that is 'found' with "premium" gas is not a result of the gas. It is a result of higher compression in the cylinder, due to different pistons or cams. Increasing the compression ratio also increases the heat generated by compression. If the compression is raised enough, the mixture can get hot enough to ignite itself. This is called "pinging" or "knocking". Gas with a higher octane number will resist this heat better and will wait for the spark to ignite it. "Premium" gas also burns slower, so you have to light the fire a bit sooner by advancing the spark. How many of us have "advanced the spark" to get some more power?

"Premium" gas and spark advance are both Band-Aids to cover the heat from the increased compression. In your stock engine, neither one is necessary. In fact, just by switching to "premium" gas, you usually lose some power and mileage because there are fewer BTUs and the fire is still burning as the piston goes down, lowering the BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure).

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
                    ^^ A friend of mine has been telling me to run avgas through the fuel system in my new bike...whats the benefit of doing so?
                    I was pretty much kidding about using avgas.

I've heard that it will burn up catalytic converters and newer engines pretty quickly.(which our bikes are neither)

I used to get tons of it for free at the old airport I used to work for.
                    Everybody used it for their lawnmowers and ATV's and some older junk cars.

I guess it might clean your engine out a bit, when mixed with regular 87?

Or unless your driving on the swiss alps, I see no reason to really run it!?
                    LOL

But it's basically slower burning, and for colder higher altitudes.

Trust me, i dumped a small cup of it on some rocks in high wind (in an open area), and the **** just WOULDN'T go out, I kept stomping it out, and it kept coming back like 10 seconds later,lol.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2010, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Haha well I plan on keeping my bike around sea level for now (and on the ground as well...) - I was just curious as to why he suggested it.

I went for my first fill up in the new bike yesterday with 93 and found that after the old fuel that was in it had been burned up, that its running a bit differently now (a little more cold blooded than it has been). I don't know what type of fuel was in it before, and I don't have a manual on me to see what type of gas the bike was engineered to run on (after all, it is the "high compression version, at 10.5:1 ). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the same support for the GPz as there is for the GS (which is why I still lurk/post here) so theres not much info without the manual.

The bike runs fine, it just hates idling off choke when cold (despite a few minute warmup)

Comment

Working...
                      X