Which torque wrench works best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which torque wrench works best?

So I'm finally going to buy a torque wrench but am undecided as to which type is better suited for motorcycle duty. I like the needle type cause you can tell when your close but I like the audible click of the other type also. Which would you guys that wrench a quite a bit recommend for a guy that has never owned one and is only wanting to buy one?

I have a cheap "click" type from Harbor freight that does the job. If I was buying again I might be tempted to buy a digital one.

Make sure you wind back to zero before storing it.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I like the clicker type myself - less adapt to over torque because you don't have to watch anything..,

I think the more important aspect of these wrenches is to get one in the range you will be using most.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I've been using clicker torque wrenches for years but a couple of years ago I picked up my grandfather's bean type and I've been using it for most things ever since. The Click of a clicker is nice but I think the beam type has much better "feel". It really hasn't been a problem to watch the needle while torquing.

I always wonder with a clicker, just how accurate it is this week?

/\/\ac

P.s. I've checked my cheapo HF clickers against the beam and they came out OK. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to adjust them to get down to 2% or so. My Matco is at about 3% +/-

Comment

See if you can find a local Snap On dealer and see if he has any used ones. I usually have two or three on my truck. Right now I've got a 1/2" beam style traded in from a Mercedes dealership tech who went digital with angle for $125.

If you can find one made by Precision Instruments, get it. They made Snap On's for years and are an excellent brand.

Comment

HF 1/4" and 3/8" drive work fine. Just do this

Comment

I know you should calibrate them often and they are not as accurate at the extremes of the range and all that... but the most important part of using a torque wrench on things like gaskets is consistancy. If you are a bit high or low but consistant it will press the gasket evenly and your ok, but if some are high and others low it will cause issues.

So I try to not worry to much and have the torque wrench to keep me consistant. Oh and not sure if it helps but I often do 2-3 passes working up to the number in the book. Like if it says 25 ft-lbs I would do up to finger tight all around, then up to 12 ft-lbs, then up to 25, then once more to make sure.

Comment

OK, thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                X