My 81 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 81 GS1000G

Here is the bike, gotten some done to it since i got it. installed a set of old bars to move it around, power washed the bike down, to get all the grime off, painted top tree flat black, and trying ot get it running, will post more pics soon!

Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2010, 10:12 PM.

Do you have the rest of it? It looks like it should clean up well. BTW, that's a GL, not a G. The distinction may be important for parts you need to acquire.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It is goingto be something and i will definatley be posting more pics as i progress with it ,well previous owners bsing me with gettin the tank, and i got the carbs already lined out, and other misc stuff i can get from a local bike store here in town, how is it a GL, the motor says just G on it

Comment

The motors are the same for G and GL. The VIN on the frame should say GL. The major differences are the chrome fenders (the front should be chrome too), different seat and attachment, different tank and attachment, leading axle forks (axle not at the end of the tube), shorter exhaust with the straight cut end. All that is visible in your pics. Other differences will be chrome vs black headlight and mounts, and different handlebars. There's an ongoing thing around here about L handlebars. Some like them. Other hate them. They hurt my wrists. Front master cylinder may also be different between models in your year, but they are bolt-on replacement for each other.

Seat, tank, fenders and side covers will be your major interchange incompatibilities between G and GL.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Heres the bike so far finally got that tank a few weeks ago, stripped it and did some work on it, and finally got primer on it, so far so good!

Comment

Update, Got the majority of the stuff needed to get it close to running, gotta get a few gaskets for the exhaust pipes, carbs and them parts as well, but other than that, its gettin there.

Sorry i aint been on here much , just dealing with stuff here and with dad gone now its just harder to do stuff at times.

Comment

With the tank?It looks like an 82 GL

Comment

It is a different tank than what is suppose to go on it, it came with the bike , and I kinda dig it, It bolts right into place and will function fine, am making a plate to remove the fuel pump out of tank and be all good. Here is a pic of the way i bolted it to the rear section.

Comment

Hi,
                  It looks like a great project.
                  I have to agree with the others tho, i have an "81 1000G and it is different to yours, albeit mine is an Australian model.
                  Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Definitely not an '81 1000G. The tank looks like it came from an '82 1100G. But your frame and fenders are definitely GL. Anyway, lookin' pretty good. Keep pics coming.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Frame says 1981 GS1000GL , i will definatley post more pics, any ideas on a seat ?

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo1982 View Post
                        Frame says 1981 GS1000GL , i will definatley post more pics, any ideas on a seat ?
                        Shoulda had that lined up before ya hacked the backend off of it.

Google pics depending on what route you plan to take it. Wanna bobber, google the word, "bobber"

Keep those pics coming!
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

its not like i was spur of the moment, sometimes ppl tend to forget things, everyone aint perfect. I will figure it out ,always do

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo1982 View Post
                            its not like i was spur of the moment, sometimes ppl tend to forget things, everyone aint perfect. I will figure it out ,always do

Cool... Looking forward to some pics.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Here is a few seat ideas, simple to the point styling

Comment

Working...
                              X