Lube new cables??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lube new cables??

Putting new clutch and throttle cables on the 1100E and I was wondering if they are prelubed, or should they be lubed....

Stock Suzuki parts, BTW....
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Cables to the left of me, Cables to the right!

IIRC, my new OEM cables came to me unlubed. Either way, I would still lubricate them.

I personally use Teflube 2000, made by Kleen-Flo. Although any decent lubricant in a sprayable format should do the trick, just promise me you will not use WD-40!

Do you have a cable luber?

If so, great! Handy gadget aren't they?

If not, you can hold the little red straw from your spray lube butted up to the opening in the sheath, while holding it against the cable, wrap a small strip of shop rag around the two. Sling a few tight wraps of tape around the bundle to tighten it against leaks, and spray until the lube is dripping out the other end of the cable. Let it drain until the lube almost stops dripping, then install said cable.

Lithium-based greases works well, chain lube in a pinch.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Thanks!
      I just wasn't sure if there was factory super lube on there I could see...

Yes, I used my neato cable luber and some teflon based wax type lube and it's all good...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

When in doubt, lubricate!

Excellent!

Glad I could help.

Comment

I've never lubed a zook cable.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I've never lubed a zook cable.
            I've never lubed a NEW Suzuki cable before. The tach/speedo cables come pre lubed, the clutch cable is teflon lined, but it wouldn't hurt for the throttle cable I guess.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Bob,

Be sure to look at the clutch lever in the area where the cable barrel attaches. Check for any debris or burrs, clean thoroughly, and grease that area. If the barrel cannot move freely it will stress the cable at the attachment point to the barrel and cause premature failure.

As far as lubing, I make a tiny paper funnel, tape it to one end of the cable, hang the cable high enough so that it doesn't touch the ground, and pour a bit of 80 wt. synthetic gear lube in the funnel. The lube will wick down along the strands and completely lube the cable. When lube drips from the bottom you have a well-lubed cable.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I took a look at my brand new Suzuki cables, and they have lube on them. To lube the cables I use a method similar to Joe Nardy's.

Comment

Working...
                X