Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mag wheels changed to spoke wheels

Hi Everyone
    I have recently perchased an 82 GS 550 e and would like to know if older wheels from the same or similar models will interchange easily? Specifically I am wanting to go for a laced/ spoke wheel and ditch the mag type wheel. I realise older spoke type wheels had a drum type rear brake set up, is it possible to swap the disc brake set up from the mag wheel to the older wheel? Is there a spoke wheel from another model I could use?
    Many thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

Cheers, Nick

Use the wheels from the 750 or 1000 that had a rear disk...

The 1000 ones had an Alloy rim, 750 had a chrome rim.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Been looking around and unfortunately the older GS 750, 1000 wheels are rare as rocking horse poo here in New Zealand. Does anyone know if wheels (dare I say it) used for other makes of bikes from the same era could be used on a Suzuki? Putting it out there, all comments and suggestions welcome of course.

Comment

Hi Nick B,

Did you have any luck with the swap as I myself am looking to do the same.

1982 GS 450T mags to spokes off a.........?

Comment

Originally posted by dsg78 View Post
          Hi Nick B,

I see that you are new to the forum. Did you by chance take a moment to notice that "Nick B" is now just a "guest", which means that he is no longer an active member? Also please note that the last post in the thread was five and a half years ago.

Rather than resurrect a dead thread from a (now) non-member, it might be better to start your own.
          If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by dsg78 View Post
            Hi Nick B,

1982 GS 450T mags to spokes off a.........?
            I have the same bike and run wheels from a'77 - '78 400. The rear brake is a different diameter so you need to use the spoke wheel backing plate, etc. OTW it's a drop in.

The front is easy; just move your brake rotor over to the spoke wheel.

You'll find that many wheels from the mid '70's Suzukis will fit; some with fiddling and some not. I think the GT 380 is the same, as is the 500 rear. You can even use a 19" if you get a higher fender and accept the speedometer will read slow and the steering may be somewhat lazy.

I prefer the feel of the bike with spoke wheels; the original cast wheels seem heavy and dead by comparison. You can also lace wider rims if you like; a 2.15 front and 2.50 rear are on my project list.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

I forgot to add that the '78 sprocket carrier is also different so you'll need that as well.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
              X