Farking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farking Question

Ok '83 1100 experts. I would like to put Progressive springs in my ESD. WHAT is the difference between ED and ESD fork springs. The stock part numbers are different. Are they that drastically different? I can't seem to find a part number listed for the ESD, the book just says "GS1100E 79-84." The Progressive part number (that matters) is 1107. If I look up the fork spring part number in a cross reference chart, (Zedder), the fork spring is unique for the '83 GS1100 ESD. Any help??
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Hi,

That's the same Progressive springs I have in my bike. I think they'll work just fine in yours with the right length spacers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

That's the same Progressive springs I have in my bike. I think they'll work just fine in yours with the right length spacers.

BassCliff
      But, if they're too long.....?
      Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Hi,

On the top you see my old springs. On the bottom you see the new Progressive springs. I used shorter spacers. (Some people use no spacers at all.)

Feel free to check out my Install Progressive Fork Springs guide.

If they are really, really too long you can cut them.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks! I've sent an E-Mail off to Progressive, so perhaps they'll give me some answers too. You're probably right, it's just a matter of spacer length. The 1107 no doubt works in a myriad of GSs.
          Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
            Thanks! I've sent an E-Mail off to Progressive, so perhaps they'll give me some answers too. You're probably right, it's just a matter of spacer length. The 1107 no doubt works in a myriad of GSs.
            I'm pretty sure the directions say to omit the spacer for the 82-83 1100E forks.

The ED/ESD forks are different in that the ESD has a groove in the stanchion for a cir clip to hold up the air filler collars. On the ED these are held up with the headlamp ears which the ESD has none due to body mounted fairing/headlamp.
            Last edited by posplayr; 05-30-2010, 12:38 AM.

Comment

I used no spacer for my GS.

Comment

Working...
              X