my new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my new project

hi, this is my second GS project. first was a 1981 GS1000G, never owning another shaftie again!! new project is a 1979 GS1000L with 12,000 original miles. putting together parts to install for winter project. parts already purchased include: 4" extended 1983 1100 swingarm, gsxr rear wheel, 1990 gsxr 1100 front end. already installed dyna coils and ignition system, 36mm gsxr mikuni carbs.

going to be very intersting on an "L"

Comment

here is a more recent photo.

Comment

how did you make that "L" look like a G?

Comment

i added a tank off a 1983 GS1100E, as well as a custom seat, along with the extra tail piece i had left over from my 1981 GS1000G.

Comment

What's the problem with the shaft?

Originally posted by bigbill808 View Post
            hi, this is my second GS project. first was a 1981 GS1000G, never owning another shaftie again!!

What's the problem with the shaft? Had my 1981 GS1000G since new- no issues. No chain, no sprockets and no adjustment
            Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
            1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
            1977 GS400
            1974 Montesa 250
            1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Was not trying to offend any shaft owners. I just didn't like the limitations the shaft had, skinny tires and extra weight. It ran great, had Vance and Hines cams and mild port work. Kept the head to put on my new project. Again my opologies if I offended anyone!!

Comment

shaft

No offence taken Big Bill. Just curious about the shaft.
                Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                1977 GS400
                1974 Montesa 250
                1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

tank

Nice conversion so far! Could you post more pics on the tank and seat since I have a L model chain drive and want to do the same thing your doing and have done somne stuff but want to change the seat and tank aswell. Thanks and again looks great.

Comment

FYI
                    thats an 80/81 750E/1100E tank.
                    looks nice.

Comment

thanks for the info blowerbike. and 62 bugzilla, i will post more pics and info soon. i had to cut off original gas tank mounts and move them to secondary holes in frame closer to the neck. and had to use a 4 1/2" bolt to tighten down rear of tank. the rear seat cowl was an extra i had after i sold my 1981 gs1000g model. i had to do some light modification to make it work, i used rear half of the fender (plastic part) of the g model and i think that made it much more simple of job. hope this helps.

Comment

just wanted to update project. damn starter clutch went out, at least it waited till the winter to do it!! so i figured it was a good time to start replacing the swing arm and rear wheel upgrades. will have pics up soon. hope everyone has a great holiday!!

Comment

..., never owning another shaftie again!! ...
                          Originally posted by Johno View Post
                          What's the problem with the shaft? ...
                          ... I just didn't like the limitations the shaft had, skinny tires and extra weight.
                          I guess the shafties are only "limiting" if you plan on modifying.

The stock wheels will properly support tires that will let you explore ALL the available cornering clearance, what more do you need?

Most of the time, a wider tire is only for looks, and that would depend a lot on the looker's opinion.

As for weight? The 1000G had a dry weight of 543. The GS1000S was 524. Nineteen pounds bothers you that much?

OK, the 1000S had the fairing on the front, the 1000E was only 507 pounds. That's still only a 36-pound difference.
                          I suppose if you were building a race bike or some other special project, the few extra pounds might make a difference, but for those of us who tend to ride two or three states at a time instead of two or three hours, it really isn't that much of a problem.

Anyway, ... nice work so far on the "L".
                          You have any pictures of the finished "G"?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Holy cow, 19 lbs is considered a huge amount even for my race car, worth roughly 7th some would say. I was happy to loose a pound by Swiss cheesing my battery box.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                              Holy cow, 19 lbs is considered a huge amount even for my race car, worth roughly 7th some would say. I was happy to loose a pound by Swiss cheesing my battery box.
                              Like I said right above your post:
                              I suppose if you were building a race bike or some other special project, ...
                              For the type of riding that my family and I do, it does not really matter whether the bike weighs 600 or 800 pounds.

For the convenience of no chain care and not having to align the axle, as well as the silence, I will gladly put up with the extra 19 pounds.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X