Need help with rear brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with rear brakes

Hello, after looking around the TGR website I've come to the conclusion that if I ever need any help with my bike this is the only place to seek it.
    First off, this is my very first post and would like to acknowledge the amount of work that has gone to making this great "resourceful" website. I had no idea the bike I bought had so many followers. Also, I am a first time rider (with the MSF course under my belt) so do not hesitate to correct me if I don't refer to certain parts with their correct names.

Anyways, to come to the problem at hand, I have an '81 GS550T that I bought in the winter that's been sitting in the garage. Given the great summer weather, I'm very tempted to get the bike up and running (and street safe of course). However, I'm having several problems with the bike that hopefully the nice folks in these forums can help me out with.

First, the rear brake system is totally nonfunctional. There are no brake pads, the black box that should contain the pads is missing the cap (As shown in the attached image).

and the biggest problem of all, I have been utterly unsuccessful in attaching the brake lever to the shaft. From the appearance on the shaft, I assume the previous owner went nuts on it with a sledgehammer.

The lever shaft will nut turn AT ALL and does not want to come out no matter what. I have seen some complete rear brake assembly on ebay that might be able to replace the current one but that is irrelevant unless I can take this sucker out.

I would appreciate it if anyone could let me know of a special tool or method that will aid me in making the rear brake working again.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

edit: sorry for posting the links to images but for some reason the attachment of the pics kept failing.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2010, 12:25 PM.

First off, welcome to the site. If you need a repair manual you can download one here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

I would completely remove the rear brake components from the bike. Rear caliper, hose, rear master cylinder. More than likely your master cylinder is rusted/seized from sitting thats why brake lever won't move. Don't force anything apart. Once you get the parts removed, take them apart and clean them in clean brake fluid. The hose should be replaced with either braided stainless or a new rubber one. Replace any missing parts or worn parts, get some new pads, new brake fluid. The brake system on these bikes are fairly simple and easy to maintain.

Comment

thank you for the quick response almarconi. It seems that the entire system needs to be replaced and I've taken out the pad holder and the rest of the goods but what is giving me trouble is the brake lever shaft that neither turns or comes out. I've tried a hardened plastic hammer to knock it out but it simple won't budge.
      Is there a pin or screw that is keeping it in place that I am not seeing or has just not been used for so long that it's literally become a part of the frame?

p.s. is a chain replacement something that a newbie at my level should try or is better left to a professional?

Thanks

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. pngs550l,

I would also recommend rebuilding all of the calipers on your bike, front and rear. You may need new brake pistons. You won't know until you disassemble and inspect. While you have the brakes apart, why not replace those 30 year old rubber brake lines with some braided stainless steel lines? (The factory says to replace the rubber lines every two years.)

Here's a parts fiche picture for the rear brake pedal.

I think you need to take your foot rest off so that you can get behind the cover to finish the disassembly.

I believe you can install your own chain. Download a manual from my site and ask a few questions in the forum. You'll be OK. You may need to buy a couple of new tools to get it installed, aligned, and adjusted properly.

To embed pictures in your posts, just use the icon at the top of the post window, paste in the url to your picture. One caveat, resize your pictures to 1024x768 or 800x600 so that they fit better. Right now your pictures on ImageShack are HUGE.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You should be able to take the foot pedal off, then wack the pivot good with a hammer to get it loose. Try some PB Blaster to soak it

Comment

Working...
          X