Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old tires with tube to new tires without tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old tires with tube to new tires without tube?

Hey now,

I got new tires for my 82 Suzuki GS650 and didn't realized the original tires have tubes. I ordered METZELER MARATHON FRONT 100/90H-19 and 18 for the rear. Will these tire be ok without the tubes? I got the standard mag type rim.

This is a tubeless rim. It should say so somewhere on the casting.

There is sime history here, where some of the mag wheels weren't the best castings and would eventually lose air, but I think this was in the late 70's. By 82 they had gotten it right.

Someone either put it in for insurance or because they were paranoid about the above issue. You don't need the tube.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Yeap it doesn't look like it came with a tube. I guess I'll throw in the tubes with the new tires.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Somewhere on the mag wheel it should say "Tubeless Tire Applicable". If it doesn't, I would use a tube. Some bikes (like mine) came stock with mixed tubeless and non-tubeless wheels. I choose to run a tube in my front tire. Even though the tire can be tubeless, the wheel is not. My back wheel is tubeless and I run it that way.

Many riders here have had no problems running a tubeless tire on a "non-tubeless" rim without a tube. They drill out the valve stem hole a little and install a tubeless valve stem.

Are there any designations on your wheels?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

We put tubeless tires on my tube wheels last year, but had to mill the inside of the rim so the tubeless air valve would seal correctly.

Comment

tubed to tubeless

I have a `79 Gs1000E with the stock mag wheels. Would these work tubeless?
            sigpic1979 GS 1000E
            Southside Chicago

Comment

look on the rim near the spokes. It will say.
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Tubeless tires should not normally run with a tube. The tube chafes the innerliner of the tire and increases heat buildup. Yes, lots of motorcyclists use tubes in tubeless tires, but it still is not recommended.

The 1982 GS650G came stock with tubeless tires and rims made for tubeless tires. I know because I bought one new.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                  Tubeless tires should not normally run with a tube. The tube chafes the innerliner of the tire and increases heat buildup. Yes, lots of motorcyclists use tubes in tubeless tires, but it still is not recommended.

The 1982 GS650G came stock with tubeless tires and rims made for tubeless tires. I know because I bought one new.

This is not quite correct. Most, if not all, motorcycle tires in sizes suitable for our vintage bikes may be run with or without tubes as required by the rims. The tires are marked tube/tubeless on all the brands I've seen.

If you have aluminum rims that can be converted to tubeless, I personally think it's well worth doing for exactly the reasons you mention, but that is a personal decision.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    ...Most, if not all, motorcycle tires in sizes suitable for our vintage bikes may be run with or without tubes as required by the rims. The tires are marked tube/tubeless on all the brands I've seen.

If you have aluminum rims that can be converted to tubeless, I personally think it's well worth doing for exactly the reasons you mention, but that is a personal decision.
                    Thanks. I did not know that. You've worn out far more tires than I have. I just checked the four tires that I own, and all of them are marked only "TUBELESS". If I tire is marked both ways, using a tube should cause no problems. If is only says tubeless, I'd avoid a tube.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Does anyone see a problem with running a tube on a rim that says "Tubeless Tire Applicable" when the tire calls for a tube? As well, I guess, do tires calling for tubes fit the "Tubeless Tire Applicable" rims?
                      Thanks in advance.

Comment

If the tire says to use a tube, use a tube. If the rim says tubeless tire applicable, you can go either way (tube or tubelsss).
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok. Cool. Thanks Ed! I figured as much but, it never hurts to throw it out there once.

Comment

Originally posted by penbass View Post
                            Ok. Cool. Thanks Ed! I figured as much but, it never hurts to throw it out there once.
                            Once? It's been "thrown out" about 100 (or more) times....literally! (Hint: 'Search' feature!)
                            Last edited by chuckycheese; 11-12-2010, 12:54 AM.
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I've been running front and rear tubeless for the last 3 or 4 years. I've even run (at present as well) my rear tire marked "Tube Type" tubeless. Now, maybe it'll cause me problems later down the line, I've only logged 9k miles on it so far, and I'll be changing it soon since the tread is almost gone now. BTW, my favorite tires are the Pirelli Scorpion Trail, I do get some good miles out of them and very little trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X