Seat Lock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Lock Question

Hey, could someone with multiple GS's (prefferably a 550T or L model) Check their different keys in their locks?

I picked up an original seat for my T from a member here who was doing a bobber etc. Anyway, he sent the seat with lock and all. I figured the locks were keyed and switched them. But then I went to see if I could maybe get a locksmith to change his lock to match my keys.. pulled the lock and doesn't look servicable. However, out of curiosity I dropped my key in and it seems to work it.

Which has me wondering, are the seat locks just a generic lock that any key will work??

Since the lock seems to work I think I'm going to re-do my original seat with a different' foam set up. Maybe make it more comfortable for trips etc, and keep the original seat when I want it to be stock (ie show's etc) or I'm on shorter trips.
    Amos

I will give it a try over weekend. I have never tried a different key but it should be easy enough to check. My initial thoughts are that they are keyed differently but most likely these locks are not real precise, maybe a worn out lock will allow many keys to work.

Comment

I've been looking for this info, too. I just parked an 850 in my garage and the key wouldn't fit in the seat lock - I ended up using a screwdriver, and was able to turn the mechanism that way! I can only hope that this isn't supposed to work this way, right?

Comment

Well my small informal test revealed that my 550L seat will only open with my 550 key, neither of my 650 keys will budge.

One has to remember that there is a finite and I would guess fairly small number of keys available, I mainly base this on the fact that there is a 3 digit key code. The odds are that the lock have worn to a point where multiple keys will operate it.

Bubbajms, welcome to forum. I have seen a screwdriver work, unfortunately, it generally means that anyone with a screwdriver can open lock. If just a seat, I would probably live with it.

Comment

Hi waterman, and thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure what it would take to fix the broken keylock assembly on my seat, but since I'm not planning to store anything in there anyhow, I'm not too worried about it

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            Well my small informal test revealed that my 550L seat will only open with my 550 key, neither of my 650 keys will budge.

One has to remember that there is a finite and I would guess fairly small number of keys available, I mainly base this on the fact that there is a 3 digit key code. The odds are that the lock have worn to a point where multiple keys will operate it.

Bubbajms, welcome to forum. I have seen a screwdriver work, unfortunately, it generally means that anyone with a screwdriver can open lock. If just a seat, I would probably live with it.
            Sweet, then it looks like I may have just totally lucked onto a second lock that matches my keys.. Sweet. Now I can get one seat re-done for every day riding, and keep the original stock for "show". May look into my options with the original that is ripped for making it a little more comfortable for long rides.

Gel, memory foam.. what other options are there??

(guess I could do a search or start a new thread)

Amos

Comment

My understanding (what my locksmith told me of the 1100ED and 750EX ) that for a matched set of keys (ignition, tank and seat) the tank use 1/2 the key, the seat uses the other 1/2 and the ignition is matched to the combinations of teh tank/seat.

Apparently stock parts can be swapped around between locks. Keys should be cut from the OEM patterns and not from old worn keys.

Comment

This kind of reminds me of some of the older f-150's or other ford vehicles equipped with remotes, we used to drive thru the mall parking lots and watch as our remote Beeped and Unlocked doors on other vehicles of similar make/model,.

-------

But yeah, I'm not surprised about the GS bike, nor would I be concerned.
                It's not like their difficult to hotwire or steal in the first place, lol.

Comment

Working...
                X