Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach died during riding?

Hey guys,

So I just got back from riding around. I had stopped at a gas station because I forgot to snap the chin strap to my helmet (eeeek!) and when I started the bike back up, I noticed the tach was no longer moving. Drove back home just fine, but I'd like to have a working tach

Any ideas? I've got my clymer manual handy so I'm going to read that. Once the engine cools down I'm going to tighten the tach cables and start her back up to see what happens.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM.

Originally posted by Fenixgoon View Post
    Hey guys,

So I just got back from riding around. I had stopped at a gas station because I forgot to snap the chin strap to my helmet (eeeek!) and when I started the bike back up, I noticed the tach was no longer moving. Drove back home just fine, but I'd like to have a working tach

Any ideas? I've got my clymer manual handy so I'm going to read that. Once the engine cools down I'm going to tighten the tach cables and start her back up to see what happens.

Thanks!

broken cable mos t likely

unless it was running backwards the it was possessed or something

Comment

as it turns out, the little screw that mates with the tach drive on the engine head un-threaded from the tach cable - so all i had to do was screw it back on and the tach worked fine!

next question

is it worth disassembling my fuel gauge unit to try and repair it? apparently it is bad, going by the procedures in the clymer manual (short the fuel gauge wires - needle does not move. ground the black/yellow wire - needle does not move. indicates bad fuel gauge unit)

Comment

Originally posted by Fenixgoon View Post
        as it turns out, the little screw that mates with the tach drive on the engine head un-threaded from the tach cable - so all i had to do was screw it back on and the tach worked fine!

next question

is it worth disassembling my fuel gauge unit to try and repair it? apparently it is bad, going by the procedures in the clymer manual (short the fuel gauge wires - needle does not move. ground the black/yellow wire - needle does not move. indicates bad fuel gauge unit)

wow that clymer is voodoo magic

check for a manual on basscliff's website and hrt real readings and go from there
        the issue could be electrical or purely mechanical though i supposese the integration of the componenets makes little difference

Comment

Check out the fuel gauge send unit repair link on Basscliffs website. Oh heck, here's the link.

Comment

if it was the engine side of the cable that came off, probably a good idea to unscrew the tach side and lube that cable a well in case any lube that was in there ran out......supposed to lube all your cables as part of Spring maint (brakes, throttle, clutch, speedo/tach, etc.).

Comment

Working...
            X