Where can I get shims for the valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I get shims for the valves

I want to get the tool and everything to adjust the valves, I found the tool but cant find a shim kit that I would need.
    ---Eric

z1enterprises carries them.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I prefer to call them and talk to a person; they carry a lot more than what is listed on their web site, and they are very helpful.

Comment

Before you go spending a lot of money check the clearances. You may not even need to adjust them. I just checked my valves yesterday. In the last 20K miles I have changed one shim on my 850

Comment

you might want to try this fellow gs'r. I did. worked great.
        If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

Comment

thanks very much, i recieved a PM about the shim club too

I still need to get the tool, gasket and get in there and check the clearances. Just wanted to get all the info before I tackled the job.
          ---Eric

Comment

The tool is very useful, I have one and use it.

Also do a search for the "Zip-tie" method. Also very useful.

Honestly, I use both when I check/swap my shims.

On a related note, the GS shim club rocks.

Comment

is there supposed to be no clearance and then if there is a gap the shim needs to fill the gap. Is this correct?
              ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                is there supposed to be no clearance and then if there is a gap the shim needs to fill the gap. Is this correct?
                there is a supposed to be a certain clearance (0.03-0.08mm on my GS650) between the cam lobe and the valve shim when the cam lobes are in a specific position.

let me dig up the cam lob positions real quick

please keep in mind this is all for a GS650 and may differ from your bike. check w/ factory manual or clymer manual

The cams must be in the Suzuki specified position or the adjacent valve will be compressed which will skew the cam in the journal clearance, thus leading to improper valve clearance measurements. All valves are adjusted in pairs for this reason.

#1 E lobe pointing forward, parallel to gasket surface: check 1E and 2E
                #4 E lobe pointing forward, parallel to gasket surface: check 3E and 4E

#1 I lobe pointing up, perpendicular to the gasket surface: check 1I and 2I
                #4 I lobe pointing up, perpendicular to the gasket surface: check 3I and 4I
                Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                  Sort of. There should be some clearance. If there is too little clearance a thinner shim is installed to increase clearance. If there is too much clearance, a thicker shim is installed to reduce the clearance.

I would suggest snagging the following for your valve job (if you haven't already):

1) The appropriate suzuki service manual for your bike.
                  Visit basscliff's website and download it--it's free and it will make your life easier.
                  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                  His site has a wealth of awesome info that will make your life easier still.

2) a metric feeler gauge. Most of the SAE feeler gauges are only barely (and that's a big barely) adequate to properly measure your valve clearance.

Comment

Search out GhostGS1, he manages the Shim Club - community shim swapping network.

Clearance is .001-.003 " if there is none once you shim that valve good idea to do a compression check on all and compare.

Comment

Hi Mr. Sparky,

Please visit my website and read the entire guide entitled "Valve Adjustments (8 valve)". If you keep track of your shims and clearances (using one of Mr. Steve's handy spreadsheets - Send him an email), you can "guesstimate" the shims you might need for your next adjustment and order those ahead of time. It's great not having to wait for shims.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Man, is that ever right. I'm almost two weeks into a valve adjustment because I had to see what I had for clearances, guess what shims to order, because clearance was basically nill, order more shims when I still had some clearances that were nill, and now waiting for the right gaskets to button it up, since the guy at the parts desk at the dealership ordered the wrong ones.
                        Also, after doing the job of cleaning those gasket mating surfaces, do yourself a favor and get the Realgasket gaskets. Being made of rubber, they shouldn't leave old gasket material on the mating surfaces

Comment

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
                          Man, is that ever right. I'm almost two weeks into a valve adjustment because I had to see what I had for clearances, guess what shims to order, because clearance was basically nill, order more shims when I still had some clearances that were nill, and now waiting for the right gaskets to button it up, since the guy at the parts desk at the dealership ordered the wrong ones.
                          Also, after doing the job of cleaning those gasket mating surfaces, do yourself a favor and get the Realgasket gaskets. Being made of rubber, they shouldn't leave old gasket material on the mating surfaces
                          depending on what thickness shims you have, you may be able to just swap shims from valve to valve in order to find what clearances you have and what shims to order. of course, if they're all the same thickness, then you're out of luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X