swing arm pivot removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swing arm pivot removal

I am having a problem trying to remove the swing arm from my 84 GS400. Finally got the pivot bolt to turn but can't get it out. Tried to tap with a brass hammer no luck so got a bit aggressive with a brass drift and 10 lb. hammer with a couple of hefty blows, still won't move. Any suggestions ?
    alex

Hi and Welcome.

Water usually get into the swing arm bearing area on the chain side of the bike and you will probably find that it is rusted up inside.

On these swing arms there is a needle bearing pressed into the arm, then inside this bearing there is a hardened metal sleeve and the swing arm spindle bolt runs through the cente of that. The spindle bolt could be rusted to the sleeve. All I can suggest is lots of force. Or if you get really desperate you could apply heat around the bearing area on either side to see if that helps at all.

Comment

Or alternatively, you can do what I had to do when mine rusted in and that was cut out about an inch in the middle drop one side out and the use a drill and a die grinder and remove the head on the bolt and replace the lot with new bearing and heaps of grease through-out.....

Comment

OK got it out. Lots of penetrating oil,a brass drift and large hammer.
        alex

Comment

Working...
        X