help with shock mount bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with shock mount bolts

I don't know exactly what to do with the rear shock mounts on my 82 GS450t. One bolt is stripped, can I just use a die to re-thread it? Also, the rubber pieces that are stuck on the mount, are they part of the old shocks? Any advise would be great. (edit) I see that in the top pic, the bolt has actually been sheared off. Can the bolt be replaced? New one welded on? or would I just be better off with a new frame?

Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM.

Hi,

It looks like the metal sleeve and rubber bushing from the shock eye have rusted onto the shock stud. The rubber can be cut off pretty easily. Try a lot of PB Blaster (or similar) on the metal sleeves to get them off. A 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF works well as a bolt loosener.

I imagine it's possible to have another bolt welded into the frame after drilling out the old shock mount. Do you have any friends who are machinists and/or welders?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi Scott, not real flash on what to do to fix the existing bolts, but I can definitely say that the shock mount has no rubber on it, so those would definitely be from the shocks.

Sounds like a bit of a pain, but hopefully someone who knows what they're doing can replace them for you.
      Last edited by pete; 05-31-2010, 03:20 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd cut that off and weld on a new one for ya. It's not a big deal to do.

Comment

Working...
        X