Shinko tires for `79 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko tires for `79 GS1000

I am replacing the tires on my GS1000. I have narrowed it down to the Shinko 712 and the Shinko 230 tour master. both are 4ply one is H rated and the other is V rated. Has anyone used either of these? Which would be better for my Gs1000?
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E
    Southside Chicago

I've got the 230 Tourmaster on my KZ750. Those would be my choice.

Comment

230's for me too. They are v-rated and have belted construction. Paid all of $118 shipped for a set from Motorcycle Superstore.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

230s are the way to go! Awesome tire, and not just "for the price"! You will get twice to three times the mileage of the 712s, as well.

Comment

I have the tour masters on by 750 great tires, have lasted for quite some time about 10 thousand kms. On my 1000 have Bridgestone spitfire good tire for all round riding
          all depends on how hard you are going to push them. Both are good wearing tires but can't be pushed to hard. Another good tire in Bridgestone BT45.

Comment

I'm happy with the Shinko 230's front and rear ($114 total shipped) after 1k miles on my K100. I've got the chicken strip down to 1/8" on the front 100/90-19 and 1/4" on the rear 130/90-17 without any tire squirm. I've hit speeds over triple digits and taken long highway sweepers at excessive speeds without issue either...so I disagree that you can't push these tires hard on the street. I'll defer to the track guys for review when comparing them to $200/ea tires! I'm waiting to see how long they last next. And I haven't tested them in heavy rains yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              I'm happy with the Shinko 230's front and rear ($114 total shipped) after 1k miles on my K100. I've got the chicken strip down to 1/8" on the front 100/90-19 and 1/4" on the rear 130/90-17 without any tire squirm. I've hit speeds over triple digits and taken long highway sweepers at excessive speeds without issue either...so I disagree that you can't push these tires hard on the street. I'll defer to the track guys for review when comparing them to $200/ea tires! I'm waiting to see how long they last next. And I haven't tested them in heavy rains yet.
              You have a K100 with a 19" front?

Comment

Originally posted by COGS View Post
                You have a K100 with a 19" front?
                I stand corrected...
                I've mounted so many tires on my GSes in the last few years, that 19" is stuck in my head. But the Shinko 230's are on my K100... with an 18" front!

Comment

V rated Tyres

a m8 of mine droped his Gs1000s a few yrs ago the insurance company refused to payout
                  because he had H rated tyres fitted.
                  they want any excuse these days not to pay up.

Comment

H is a 130 mph rating, the insurance are just crooks.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tyres

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      H is a 130 mph rating, the insurance are just crooks.
                      He was doing 30mph when he slid of it.

Comment

Did he get a lawyer or is he letting the insurance scam him?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

insurance

He sorted it out himself then changed insurance companys.
                          got his Bike back never heard anymore from them.
                          Last edited by gshub; 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM. Reason: mised word out

Comment

Shinko 230's are V rated so you can satisfy them "crooks" and go 149mph...or will they refuse to pay because you mount them yourselves?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                              Shinko 230's are V rated so you can satisfy them "crooks" and go 149mph...or will they refuse to pay because you mount them yourselves?
                              I've never heard of an ins. company in the US even bothering to look at a wrecked bike that closely. Then again, insurance companies all over the world are packed full of nothing but crooks and cheats.

I'm glad I live in a state with no inspections.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X