Which shim to use 2.50 or 2.60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which shim to use 2.50 or 2.60

In the proccess of adjusting the valve clearance I ran in to a problem. I was able to aquire all but one shim from Suzuki. The one that is not available is de 2.55. I have a 2.50 and a 2.60. Which should I drop in the one that is .05 under or over sized, and if I may ask, the reasoning. Bear in mind that I live in Guatemala, and do not enjoy the luxury of shim exchange.

It's far better to have valve clearances too large than too small.

So, with no other alternatives, drop in the 2.50.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

thanks bwringer,

what could be the consecuences? Just noise?

Comment

Rich, I think that would depend on the final clearance. If you end up over .10 with the 2.50 you may have a chance of loosing the shim from the bucket at higher rpms? Of course, you may be fine also, you definitely do not want to run it with no clearance, chance of burning a valve. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
          Rich, I think that would depend on the final clearance. If you end up over .10 with the 2.50 you may have a chance of loosing the shim from the bucket at higher rpms? Of course, you may be fine also, you definitely do not want to run it with no clearance, chance of burning a valve. Ray
          Racers ran WAY looser than .10 and never spat shims. Old "Pastor" Suzuki, and this is heresay, informed another member that when he was building said race motors, they'd run the shims out to .12 without fear of spinning a valve shim..

If MY clearance is less than .04, im going down the next size.. No brainer..

Comment

Put in the 2.5 and turns out that it was still tight. SO fiddling a bit more, dropped a 2.35 and ended up with .07 clearance. Don't know how I got the 2.5 to be loose before. Anyway all valves have between .04 and .07. Will fire the bike tomorrow to sync carbs.... BTW, I had a broken ring in Cyl 4. Replaced ALL new rings on all 4 cyl. STD size seem OK still. How do I break in this new rings? Same as new? 4000 rpm max for 600 miles? That is going to be hard. Will it take that long?

Comment

Break-in can be a touchy subject with some, but I always just ride the bike normally, maybe somewhat fewer runs to redline.

The main thing with break-in is to vary the load and RPM a lot. No long highway trips right away.

And some say that it's best to use inexpensive "regular" motor oil during break-in instead of synthetic, and then change it after 500 miles or so.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                Put in the 2.5 and turns out that it was still tight. SO fiddling a bit more, dropped a 2.35 and ended up with .07 clearance. Don't know how I got the 2.5 to be loose before. Anyway all valves have between .04 and .07. Will fire the bike tomorrow to sync carbs.... BTW, I had a broken ring in Cyl 4. Replaced ALL new rings on all 4 cyl. STD size seem OK still. How do I break in this new rings? Same as new? 4000 rpm max for 600 miles? That is going to be hard. Will it take that long?
                Loading and unloading the engine, like this:

BBWWWAAAAUuuhhhBWWAAAuunnnnnnBBBWWAAAAAAAAuuuunnnn WWWAAAAAAAAuuunnnnn..

Better yet, read this:

The low RPM riding the owners manuals suggests is only to avoid lawsuits in crashes resulting from inexperienced riders pulling the throttles wide open on bikes they don't yet know how to ride.
                Last edited by tkent02; 06-04-2010, 06:15 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Loading and unloading the engine, like this:

BBWWWAAAAUuuhhhBWWAAAuunnnnnnBBBWWAAAAAAAAuuuunnnn WWWAAAAAAAAuuunnnnn..

Better yet, read this:

The low RPM riding the owners manuals suggests is only to avoid lawsuits in crashes resulting from inexperienced riders pulling the throttles wide open on bikes they don't yet know how to ride.
                  lol. I will take your advise tkent. Staying shy of 7k rpm though

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                    lol. I will take your advise tkent. Staying shy of 7k rpm though
                    That's fine, just open and close the throttle, a lot.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      That's fine, just open and close the throttle, a lot.
                      So is that what all the Harley riders are doing at stoplights -- breaking in new engines?

Man, I learn something new every day...
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

No, a Harley is always equiped with Screamin' Eagle race cams and such (adds three horse power) and, like any high strung race engine, will not idle without loading up the carb for a bog unless you blip it constantly to clear it.
                        Seriously, didn't you notice all the squids on their 'modded' gixxers do the same thing?

Comment

Working...
                        X