Border crossing Guatemala-Mex-USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border crossing Guatemala-Mex-USA

As I am aproaching the end of June, I am going to start picking your brains for advise. I am taking a trip, 4 to 6 weeks long. Two bikes, my GS650GL and a Yamaha Fazer 250 (YBR in Europe, YS in LatinAmerica). Originally, my plan was to travel the entire Mexican Pacific Coast, getting to Mazatlan or Los Mochis and Ferry the bikes along Baja California. Entering San Diego via Tijuana. Continue PCH to Sacramento. On the way back, criscross Nevada, Arizona, Texas. Get to San Antonio and then cross the Mexican border (Mc Allen), travel the Mexican gulf Coast to Veracruz. Then (if no Huracanes are around) travel the Yucatan Peninsula, enter Belize and then across to Guatemala.

Questions that I have are regarding Border crossing, gasoline supply and a few other things that will come along.
    I was told that depending of which border I cross entering the States, I will have more or less hassle. I was resently advise to enter the States via Texas and exit Via California. Crossing requirements are less cumbersome. Any input on this?
    I was also told that I would not have any problems entering the states with Guatemalan plates, since I have a Guatemalan Passport, but the wife is a US cit. and her bike, is in her name, but with Guatemalan registration. I was told that SHE will not be allowed to enter the vehicle without IMPORTING it. Anyone that can give any imput on this?
    Also, My 650Gl only has a cruicing range of 110 miles. Some people say there are places in Mex and even the US (if travelling avoiding Interstates) where I won't see gas stations for 200 to 300 miles. Is is allowed to travel with those plastic Gas tanks sold in say Wallymart, on a Motorbike, in all states?
    I am really looking forward to this trip, I figure about 10 to 12 thousand miles of freedom . But the wife is worried about the border crossings and being harrazed entering her own country...

Got no real useful advice other than to email someone who has a say on that matter and print out the reply. Even if I told you that it would be fine it might not be depending on the day and who you meet.

To keep it simple is there any chance to register her bike in your name before the trip?

As far as the range on th 650, I would say do what you need to and if they give you a hard time ditch the fuel containers in the US then get new ones when you get back. I would imagine it would be okay as I have seen it done. Also if your wifes bike has a bigger tank / longer range some sort of syphon system might be worth having just incase.

Plan as best you can then take the jump and enjoy the journey, if it was all smooth sailing you would never have any good stories to tell.

Comment

Is there an American Consulate in Guatemala? They might be able to help you.

Also see if they can recommend an agency at the US/Mexico border.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As far as carrying a gas can is concerned, I've never seen where that is a problem. I carried a 2 gallon can all the way from Minnesota to California and back on my last California trip, no problems. I did have to use it twice, once for getting through Utah on I-70, and once on the old Rte 66 through the almost ghost town of Amboy to Yucca Valley. I also had the 110 mile tank, but I've done a replacement, put one on that carrys 4.5 gal instead of 3.2.

Comment

You might have more luck at ADVrider.Have a safe trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Is there an American Consulate in Guatemala? They might be able to help you.

Also see if they can recommend an agency at the US/Mexico border.

Alas! both the American and Mexican consulates are totally useless. All they are able to say is "long trip, be very careful we hear is dangerous" WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post

As far as the range on th 650, I would say do what you need to and if they give you a hard time ditch the fuel containers in the US then get new ones when you get back. I would imagine it would be okay as I have seen it done. Also if your wifes bike has a bigger tank / longer range some sort of syphon system might be worth having just incase.
              Didn't think of this, great suggestion. About registering the bike in my name, takes too long to get all the paperwork done. Summer be over before all is done.

Comment

What I did for extra gas between the bikes was just have a small gas safe container with me, like clean 1 quart empty oil container. Then just set the wifes tank to off, disconect the gas line. Put the container at the petcock and turn to prime. Never had to do it but was an option lol.

Also had some extra wire and aligator clamps for bike to bike jumper cables. I did use that eventually and worked great.

If its to late to change paperwork I guess just go for it, but dont voulenteer it as a potential problem when you get there. If they bring it up play dumb... (I am good at that lol)

Comment

Personally I'd stay the hell out of Mexico with all of the violence. I used to live in McAllen and had no fear of going across the border alone. I wouldn't go at all now. Make sure everything about the bike's registrations are correct, you could end up losing the bike or not be allowed to cross into Mexico at all.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Any updates on this? I hope all is well.

Comment

Read this one.

Read this article before you try something like crossing borders and such in Central and South America.

From what I can gather you need lots of bribe money and that would make riding with friends a must. Sounds like "little Joe" had the best time on this trip.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Well guys, I am back from an amazing trip. Only one mechanical problem with my bike. The secondary drive shaft that broke (weakness in this bikes, from what I was told), that was fixed thanks to the help from people in this site! It was fixed in a couple of days, by a Kaw mechanic, parts, labor and machining for less than $50USD. 4000 miles, 38 days. Did not make it all the way to the US. Tooo much to see and enjoy in Mex. Not a single issue with security, authority, food poisoning or ANYTHING. Cover the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, Michoacan, Colima, Jalisco, Guanajuato, hidalgo, Puebla, Tlaxcala, Veracruz. Beautiful Beaches, Colonial Sites, Natural sites. Good FOOD. Cheap. My wife on her bike, and me on my GS average $75 a day, including food, gas, etc. For the two of us. Places we went did not even have police in site. Banks with ATMs inside the bank, stayed open all night, without security. Gasoline was an issue three times, but thanks to four aluminum water bottles that I carried with gas i them, I made it to the closest gas station. Crossing the border was not a problem at all. Locals are very friendly and helpful. NEVER did I feel in danger. In Guadalajara we even left the bikes unatended, fully loaded, while we went siteseeing. Anyone that thinks it is dangerous traveling in Mex should turn off the TV and try for themselves. Recomended 1000%.

Comment

Glad you had fun and things went well, with the prices in Mexico probably best you didn't bother crossing up North here.

Also nice to see you where safe and felt safe, a LOT of people worried about that when I went to Haiti maybe I was supposed to as well but it went fine and I felt safe the entire time.

Comment

Sets my mind at ease.

Sets my mind a little more at ease to hear you had such a nice trip. My oldest daughter is 13 and I plan on taking all three daughters for road trips when they each turn 16. Time to sart saving now as I may have to rent a bike for each trip or buy a touring friendly bike and trailer it. I'm thinking a later model Yamaha FJR would fit the bill but an older FJ12 would do quite nice as well. The magazine I read has a couple of nice Spain rides articled and quite a few others as well. For now I just have a scrap book of sorts to help me remember what rides might be interesting and how to plan them.

Comment

Thanks for sharing information on a great vacation and ride.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                              X