Questions about shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about shims

Hey guys. I just recently got my bike (78 GS550EC) and i read on here that a valve adjustment needed to be done. I went out and bought my feeler gauge but the smallest size is 0.04mm and there wasnt enough space for it to fit. I did take out the shims 1 by 1 and recoreded the numbers and this is what i got...

#1 Exhaust = 2.75
    #1 Intake = 2.80

#2 Exhaust = 2.75
    #2 Intake = 2.80

#3 exhaust = 2.75
    #3 Intake = 2.80

#4 Exhaust = 2.75
    #4 Intake = 2.75

Now my question is what should i replace them with? the bike has about 16,000 miles on it and i dont think the po ever messed with it. the bike as far as i can tell is completely stock. I did swap one of the 2.80 shims for one of the 2.75's and the 0.04mm feeler did slide through but just barely. it wasnt very smooth at all.

should i change the ones at 2.80 down to 2.70 and the 2.75's down to 2.70? any help would be great. THANKS!

Hi,

Personally, if the .04mm feeler doesn't fit, I swap the shim. It's OK to run more on the loose end (up to 0.10mm) instead of on the tight end of spec. There is a valve adjustment guide on my website. Read the entire article as there is important information in the addendum. Do not turn your motor if there are any shims missing from their buckets.

The first time I performed a valve adjustment I had to go down two sizes on several shims. It's not unusual if the bike has been neglected. Send member Steve an email if you'd like a copy of his spreadsheet to help you calculate shim sizes and keep service records. There is also a valve shim worksheet on my website that you can download, print, and take to the garage with you for note taking.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Try this:

Turn the engine until the cams are lined up as in the manual, try to spin the shim in the bucket with your finger.

If it will turn, there is at least some clearance, one size thinner should get you in the correct range. So if a 2.75 spins, go to 2.70.

If it won't spin, there is zero clearance, go two sizes thinner as a start. 2.75 won't spin, try a 2.65.

Of course you still want to recheck everything once the replacement shims are in place, but this should give you some idea of which shims you need.

Are you using the silly Zip-Tie method, or the rediculously awesome and professional tappet tool? =)
      Last edited by tkent02; 06-07-2010, 10:07 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Try this:

Turn the engine until the cams are lined up as in the manual, try to spin the shim in the bucket with your finger.

If it will turn, there is at least some clearance, one size thinner should get you in the correct range. So if a 2.75 spins, go to 2.70.

If it won't spin, there is zero clearance, go two sizes thinner as a start. 2.75 won't spin, try a 2.65.

Of course you still want to recheck everything once the replacement shims are in place, but this should give you some idea of which shims you need.

Great suggestion here! Tom wins the Tech Tip of day award.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll definantly try that. I'll let you guys know the results in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by skoolbustom View Post
            Thanks everyone. I'll definantly try that. I'll let you guys know the results in the morning.
            I am going to use that rule as well!

Comment

Yeah, if 0.04 wont fit in there, i'd definitely change the shim out and just go down one size.

Cause if it ain't 0.04, it's either 0.03 or tighter.(see if the shim spins in the bucket with cam at proper angle)

If it's 0.03, that's the bare minimum allowed, which is too damn tight in my opinion anyways....

And if it's tighter than 0.03, you DEF need to change her out!

Some of mine were tighter than 0.03, so it's not super uncommon....but it's really not good for the motor....obviously.

Are you using the silly tappet tool, or the rediculously awesome and professional Zip-Tie method? =)

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

Are you using the silly tappet tool, or the rediculously awesome and professional Zip-Tie method? =)

I am using the zip tie method. It was extremely easy.

Comment

I am using the zip tie method. It was extremely easy.
                  Yep,yep that's cool.

You wouldn't believe the looks I was getting from my mechanic brother and father and friends.....

Every single one of them was like "what the hell are you doing! You're going to damage the valves, you don't know what you're doing!!!"

I just smiled and said "First off, you don't even know what a shim/bucket system is....second, if it's so bad, how come hundreds or more people have done this method forever, and NEVER had a problem?"

Of course noone challenged me, they just walked off frustrated....

Comment

I have a "rediculously awesome and professional tappet tool", but it stays in the toolbox.

I really do prefer the "silly Zip-Tie method".

Why? That's easy. I had the tool slip off the edge of the bucket before the shim was fully in place. Shattered the shim.
                    After about an hour of fishing with a magnet, then another hour of putting the pieces together, I was assured that I had virtually all the pieces. Anything that was not there was going to be too small to matter.

Unless there is some trick to keeping that tool in place, I will continue to use that "silly Zip-Tie method".

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey guys. I just recently got my bike (78 GS550EC) and i read on here that a valve adjustment needed to be done. I went out and bought my feeler gauge but the smallest size is 0.04mm and there wasnt enough space for it to fit. I did take out the shims 1 by 1 and recoreded the numbers and this is what i got...

#1 Exhaust = 2.75
                      #1 Intake = 2.80

#2 Exhaust = 2.75
                      #2 Intake = 2.80

#3 exhaust = 2.75
                      #3 Intake = 2.80

#4 Exhaust = 2.75
                      #4 Intake = 2.75

Now my question is what should i replace them with? the bike has about 16,000 miles on it and i dont think the po ever messed with it. the bike as far as i can tell is completely stock. I did swap one of the 2.80 shims for one of the 2.75's and the 0.04mm feeler did slide through but just barely. it wasnt very smooth at all.

should i change the ones at 2.80 down to 2.70 and the 2.75's down to 2.70? any help would be great. THANKS!

The GREAT news it that you've got TONS of adjustment left.
                      2.75's! I wish!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I have a "rediculously awesome and professional tappet tool", but it stays in the toolbox.

I really do prefer the "silly Zip-Tie method".

Why? That's easy. I had the tool slip off the edge of the bucket before the shim was fully in place. Shattered the shim.
                        After about an hour of fishing with a magnet, then another hour of putting the pieces together, I was assured that I had virtually all the pieces. Anything that was not there was going to be too small to matter.

Unless there is some trick to keeping that tool in place, I will continue to use that "silly Zip-Tie method".

I couldnt imagine any other mothod other than the ziptie thing.
                        Even easier with the motor removed.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Please describe the zip tie method.

Comment

Originally posted by KDS111 View Post
                            Please describe the zip tie method.
                            Stick a folded and taped ziptie into your spark plug holes to hold the valve open.
                            If your engine is removed you can even get to some of em from the exhaust holes
                            I wouldnt even know where or how to begin but I bet if ya do a search you'll find all the info you'll need.

Aint it on Cliffs site in detail?
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yes, it is, and if Steve endorses it, I may leave my totaly awesome and professional tool in the box and try that instead.
                              I got my totaly awesom tool to lock in pretty good, but it did slip during instalation and removal (of the tool) the sacond time I used it (first time no drama, go figure) and even with the shim seated and safe, hearing it 'pop' caused a seat mohawk in my bike fixin' stool.

Comment

Working...
                              X