Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed my wheel bearings and now I have a squeak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed my wheel bearings and now I have a squeak...

Hey everyone. I just replaced my wheel bearings this week.

I used the dyna-bolt (needed 2 sleeves) approach, which was great. Drifted in the two new ones because I'm a direct kind of guy. I bet my life that no single blow landed anywhere other than on the outer bearing race.

Test rode it and had a squeak/click that varied only with the speed of my tire rotation. It wasn't high enough to be a chirp, but it was something for sure.

While I was changing the bearings, I thought I might as well break up some of the small grooves in the rotor with some sandpaper and did. I also removed the grease from the speedometer sender and forgot to re-grease in my hurry to reassemble.

The good news is, my stuttering on very hard braking disappeared. The bad news is... I don't know what that squeak/click is. I thought maybe it was a burr or something on the rotor (it got a tiny bit abused), but when I applied the brakes, I didn't hear it. I couldn't replicated it at home by hand either. I did clamp on the brakes and spin the wheel by hand for a number of turns. Can't say if it made any difference until I test ride it again, which won't be until next wednesday probably.

I didn't ride far or over 45, so I doubt the brakes had a lot of chance to bed in. Do y'all think it's the brakes, speedo sender, or bearings making the noise? The bearings are double-sealed and I didn't add any extra grease to the bearing cups.

-William

I would go back and check the speedo adapter

Comment

How about chain alignment? I don't know about a squeak but I've heard a click from a chain that was out of alignment, probably a stiff link too. I'd imagine you could get a squeak if the chain was sliding down the side of the teeth and you had some dry links.

I used this method to realign the wheels recently when I changed tires and bearings. Super easy! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryde...ntmethod.shtml

I checked sprocket alignment after this and it was spot on, no reason it shouldn't be unless the frame or swingarm is bent. I think..

/\/\ac

Comment

Yeah, the speedo not being greased is my first guess. It's super consistent and unchangeable with speeds of accel/decel, brakes, jumping up and down on the suspension.

Oh, and Mac - it's a shaftie teehee. No drive chain. I only changed the front wheel bearing. I should probably do the rear soon too, but the front worried me.

Will update when I get back home next week.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
          Oh, and Mac - it's a shaftie teehee. No drive chain.
          Hi,

When you get a chance, put your bike's year/model information in your signature file. That way you won't have to remember to type it into your post, we won't have to ask, and we'll all know what we're talking about.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X