Change your speedo reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change your speedo reading

Ok - this post is only to be read by those guys who are changing speedos and want to keep the mileage of their bike correct; it's not for those wishing to knock 50,0000 off the clock or for those wanting to sell old worn out speedos as NOS.

First you have to split your speedo - either pry open the ring at the top with a screwdriver or cut the body in half (and glue back together later).

Here's an old 550 one. I pinched the trip meter off it years ago - don't remove yours as they are a fiddle to get back in easily.

Note the 19193 mileometer reading - it had done a lot more than that in real life (I actually took the photos 'the wrong way round' and it's after zeroing).

Using your thumbnail - not a screwdriver or you'll break the teeth - move the digit ring that you want to turn to the right. It will move very slightly, enough to free it off; if you have good eyesight you'll be able to see the teeth. With your thumbnail acting as a wedge spin that ring up through the numbers - it will only go one way easily. If you want to set that ring to a lower digit go through zero and keep spinning. Not a great photo but you get the idea:

The rings have a habit of moving when you don't want them to so the best way I've found is to set the tens of thousands ring first, then the thousands, then the hundreds and so on whilst steadying the rings you have already set with a finger.

I promise the zero miles speedo below won't be on Ebay selling as NOS for a $ million.

79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

watch out for loads of low mileage speedos for sale on ebay soon
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks Wally!

This is perfect. I bought a speedo with fewer miles on it than my bike has. I want to increase the mileage on my odometer so that it matches the actual miles on my bike. Great tip.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cool. I was wondering how I could bump up the mileage on the 83 ED speedo I got from Ray to match my EZ's mileage...'cause it's off by 47,000 miles and change.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
        X