Mounting tires, to clarify the 'dots'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting tires, to clarify the 'dots'

I just got the rear tire on the bike, using the packing strap method, man is that easy, should have done that with the front

So one tire had a yellow spot and the other a red spot, in searching for a difinitive answer as to where to mount them I found this.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...0ask%20doc.pdf

explains it so even a simpleton like me gets it.

Hi,

"Radial force variation first harmonic maximum"? Wow. I'm glad I ride a 30 year old bike.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I don't think our wheels count as they are not machined. The valve stem is often not the heavy part on our wheels....

I think some people balance & mark the wheel first which makes sense...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        I don't think our wheels count as they are not machined. The valve stem is often not the heavy part on our wheels....

Yeah, but not this guy. I put the dot where it ends up and balance from there.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

With the metal valve stem in it sure was the heavy spot on mine rotated down there without any prompting.

Comment

I have probably mounted as many or more tires as anyone on this forum. I always check for the heavy spot of the rim. Rarely have I found it to be exactly at the valve stem, even with metal valve stems. One wheel I did last week was 180 degrees away from the valve stem. The idea is to be able to use as little weight as possible to balance the wheel/tire combo so it makes sense to find the true heavy spot and mount the tire's light spot there.

Thanks,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

How are you guys balancing your tires? I can mount them no problem. Even have an old bubble balancer. Be nice to not have to make a trip into town and pay a cycle shop to mount and balance them,

Comment

Put the axle through the wheel & support each end on a set of axle stands or similar. Heavy spot moves to the bottom.

Some people on here use 2 skate bearings to hold the axle to take out any kind of friction but I have found that to be overkill personally.

If you do a search you'll find some pics.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I went and bought a portable balancer from http://www.marcparnes.com/. Very easy to use and well built.

Comment

Hi,

From my website:

Here are a couple of pictures of Mr. bwringer's high tech tire balancing apparatus:

That's right. Just a couple of old jack stands with some old Rollerblade bearings used to spin the wheel, find the heavy spot, and clip on counter weights. Mr. bwringer's pretty clever, isn't he?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The yellow dot is for marking the light spot on the tire which should go by the heavy spot on the rim, usually by the valve stem. The red spots are fairly new and mark the low point of the radial run out of the tire. Newer automotive rims have an "X" marked on the rim somewhere to show the high point and that's where you place the dot. Placing the red dot, if your rim is out of round, is actually more important than the yellow dot. You can't compensate for an out around tire, but you can add weight for an out of balance one. Hope this clears up the red question.

Edit: Gee, I guess I should have just checked the link, always in a hurry. Thought you were asking, not telling.
                      Last edited by Sandy; 06-11-2010, 10:31 AM.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                      X