• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850GL seatcover kit

Saddlemen Double Bucket Seat Kit

Dennis Kirk Part #: 39462
    Manufacturer Part #: XS147

Has anyone installed this seat kit on there GS.
    It mounts to the stock pan. How's the quality, comfort, etc.
    All your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Yes, sir. Check out the picture of my wife's bike ('82 850GL) in my sig.

Quality? The first one we got had a stitching problem, so sent it back. It also had the bucket moved a bit forward from stock and asked them to move it back to stock location, which they did.

Comfort? Let's just say this: After we go out for a day ride or come back from a weekend ride, my wife's bike gets backed into the garage. She can't do that, so I have to. That seat is so comfortable, I usually take it "around the block" (can be up to 10 miles) just because it feels so good.
    (Just so you are aware of the basis for my comparison, check out the picture of my bike. )

To prevent the same problem we had with the seating position being moved forward, I would suggest that you measure your stock seat from the front of the upholstery (the top edge, where it meets the tank) to the start of the "kick" up to the passenger's section. That crease where the "kick" is, is what I call the "bucket" that you sit in. When you order the seat, ask for that measurement on the new seat. The first one we got was about 2 inches forward of stock. When they re-made the seat, it was only about 1/2 inch forward, and that was OK.

By the way, you will likely hear from some expert critics on the board about your "ugly" seat, just gently remind them that it's YOUR bike, YOUR butt.

Last edited by Steve; 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info,
      From the picture it looks like its a little taller seat than stock.
      That would be a plus being 6' 6" tall.

Comment

I guess you get foam plus a cover? That's probably a dumb question.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Yes, foam and a cover.
          You use your stock seat pan.

Comment

Originally posted by KDS111 View Post
            Thanks for the info,
            From the picture it looks like its a little taller seat than stock.
            That would be a plus being 6' 6" tall.
            No, it's not really any taller, it's just the turned-up edges of the bucket that make it look a bit taller.

Her bike is set up for her. She is what we call "vertically challenged".
            Besides having to shave the sides of the seat so she can reach the ground better at stops, we have set-backs for the bars AND bars that come back even farther than "L" bars.
            That makes it a bit cramped for me (I'm 'only' 6' 5"), but I have ridden it for a couple of hours to go help another GSer work on his bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey guys, thats a real cumfie looking seat, anyone do them over here in Ireland or the U.K. ?

Comment

Working...
              X