Emergency fork temp fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency fork temp fix!

After changing fork oil on my 80' GS550E and brining it just under spec from 1/4 full everything was real nice then yesterday I hit a series of bumps and saw the front end do a little dip that told me my right fork was injured. It wasn't to bad and I took it easy getting to and back from work just fine. Today I was running late due to a huge detour and I had to get back to watch my kids. I was cruising at a good pace and as I was taking a long wide right the bike was not happy. I'm ordering parts right now to rebuild both of them but it's going to take at least least 3 days. The forks aren't leaking oil at all so it's going to be a full rebuild.

-Is there anything I can do to get the bike more stable until my parts arrive?

-Lower left oil?

-Raise rights oil?

-It's got to be rubber right? so there is no point in pulling the apart until my parts arrive right?

I have to get to work for the next three days, I can leave early and take it slow, but the bike is my only option for 2 of the three days.

My ride is close to 20 miles each way most of it unpopulated mountains so traffic is not an issue.

Thanks in advanced.

where to buy with quick ship.

Can't find a full set.

I had a link the other day but i can't find it.

Comment

I would check and make sure the spring didn't break

Comment

aww... don't say that.. they looked good when i had them out, Could the poston ring be at fault? I just can't afford springs for at least a month. maybe i just got some air or a moth in there.

Comment

Everything's fine.

I drained the forks and the right side came out dark, I think it really was a moth that got into the tube when I wasn't looking. Or something less interesting like a clog I hadn't cleared for the first time.

Comment

Hi,

The fork oil level should be exactly the same on both sides. That's about all you can do until your parts arrive. Be warned that forks can do very strange things if the oil level is uneven and/or low. Well, I guess you've realized that.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If it was something you could see I should think you've broken something quite serious... A moth in the tube will not do a thing!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If you're happy to take things really careful you could drain the oil and pop in a large spacer (= piece of pipe) on the top of the springs. You won't have any damping but you'll have a really solid front end. As long as nothing is broken it'll be safe. Temporary bodge only.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Big Ones

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  If it was something you could see I should think you've broken something quite serious... A moth in the tube will not do a thing!
                  I don't know man we got some pretty big moths out here.
                  The other night I was working late and I saw a few lunars, then I got smacked in the face with Mothra.

In all seriousness though things looked fairly good in there and there must have been some blockage/extra air in the right side that the new oil helped to clear out. now that I've been in there a few times and made some custom bits out of wood, to help make a one manned quick fork oil change easy with out taking the forks off, Should be a nice short task when I rebuild them next month.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

The fork oil level should be exactly the same on both sides. That's about all you can do until your parts arrive. Be warned that forks can do very strange things if the oil level is uneven and/or low. Well, I guess you've realized that.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Yep, by now I think I've been over just about everything relevant to my bike on your site. That fork tutorial is a good piece of work and I don't think I would have gotten it right (eventually) without it.

I left the full amount of air possible in my forks this time around and the seem pretty darn nice; how much better could progressives be?

Comment

Working...
                    X