Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a front tire on the rear? bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a front tire on the rear? bad idea?

I just got 2 new tires for my 82 GS650 and the correct size for the rear was a 110/90 - 80. I ended up getting METZELER ME 880 MARATHON and the size that was 110/90 - 80 was a front tire. So I got two of these tires a 100/90 -19 front tire for the front and a front tire 110/90 -18 for the rear.

Should I be concerned that the rear tire is labeled a front tire? Like I said the size is correct but it's a Metzeler front tire.

Don't take this as gospel in your case, but years ago there were a few tires that could be run at either end. The rear would get turned around with the arrow pointing the wrong direction. If you look at this image you can see the two 880s side by side. The tread on the rear does look like it runs opposite of the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Don't take this as gospel in your case, but years ago there were a few tires that could be run at either end. The rear would get turned around with the arrow pointing the wrong direction. If you look at this image you can see the two 880s side by side. The tread on the rear does look like it runs opposite of the rear.

my god and they still rolled round till they wore out and yah had to get new ones.

I too recal teh bi directional tire

is the new age advancement a scam?

Comment

Tires that can be used on either end are clearly labeled as such -- several Avon RoadRider sizes are like this. There are two direction arrows, one labeled "front fitment" and the other labeled "rear fitment".

At the very least, a front tire used on the rear won't last long at all. I doubt it'll blow up and kill you or anything.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Tires that can be used on either end are clearly labeled as such -- several Avon RoadRider sizes are like this. There are two direction arrows, one labeled "front fitment" and the other labeled "rear fitment".

At the very least, a front tire used on the rear won't last long at all. I doubt it'll blow up and kill you or anything.
          I realize that this is an old thread, but...

Pete (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/member.php?u=446) and I have had a discussion about tires for Suzuki twins (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...46#post1420446) (we both have GS450E bikes), and I've found some tires in 90/90-18, but all the 100/90-18 tires I see are either front tires, or they are tube type The original equipment tires are 3.00-18 front and 3.50-18 rear, but the tires I've seen in those sizes are typically enduro or dirt tires, and/or tube type. I'm not sure that a front tire would wear faster on the rear with small displacement bikes like ours, but I don't know. Anyone done this and care to comment? Anyone? Buehler, Buehler?

Comment

Just chipping in to subscribe to see what gets said here...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

In searching for a rear tire for my 650GL, I found that Pirelli makes the 130/90 17 MT66 both front and rear versions of it. I considered putting a front tire in the back with the rotation reversed, then I decided to look at the specs in more detail. Turns out the load capacity of the tire is lower for the front version of the tire, which translates to softer sidewalls? This bothered me. Decided against and ordered the spitfire on line.

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                In searching for a rear tire for my 650GL, I found that Pirelli makes the 130/90 17 MT66 both front and rear versions of it. I considered putting a front tire in the back with the rotation reversed, then I decided to look at the specs in more detail. Turns out the load capacity of the tire is lower for the front version of the tire, which translates to softer sidewalls? This bothered me. Decided against and ordered the spitfire on line.
                I looked at the Duro HF918. On Bikebandit.com, it shows a 90/90-18 and 100/90-18 front tires, and 110/90-18 rear, but on Duro's website, it says that this tire can be used on either the front or rear:

The load ratings are as follows: 90/90H18 T/L 430 lbs, 100/90H18 T/L 495 lbs, 110/90H18 T/L 565 lbs. The 450E weighs about 400 lbs, so even with a rider each tire has a load capacity that's greater than the weight of the entire bike. I still think I'll end up with the Spitfire though.

Comment

I used to work in the motorcycle tire biz.

There is a big difference in carcus design between front and rear tires. Tires that are designated for use on either end are basically rear tires that can be used on the front. A rear tire is designed to handle stress in both directions, acceleration and braking, and is of a heavier constuction and higher load rating. A front tire is only designed for braking stress and should not be used on the rear, reversed or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
                    I used to work in the motorcycle tire biz.

There is a big difference in carcus design between front and rear tires. Tires that are designated for use on either end are basically rear tires that can be used on the front. A rear tire is designed to handle stress in both directions, acceleration and braking, and is of a heavier constuction and higher load rating. A front tire is only designed for braking stress and should not be used on the rear, reversed or not.
                    Thank you, Mentat GSexpress, Master of Hydrocarbons

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
                      Thank you, Mentat GSexpress, Master of Hydrocarbons
                      I'll second that, very useful to know! Thanks GSexpress!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                      X