Front fork Help- Broken head on cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork Help- Broken head on cap

Well today how was going to be putting in some progressive front fork springs and was in the process of fololowing basscliff's guide and was loosing the caps. the right one loosened fine but when i went to the right one the nut that is built up out of the casting snapped off all the way around. now i found that they are not to expensive on part shark but my question is: how do i get it out? any suggestions would be helpful. and also there shouldn't be a problem riding it while waiting for the part? no leaks or anything so far. 1980 GS 1100E by the way. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by blackout_GS1100 View Post
    Well today how was going to be putting in some progressive front fork springs and was in the process of fololowing basscliff's guide and was loosing the caps. the right one loosened fine but when i went to the right one the nut that is built up out of the casting snapped off all the way around. now i found that they are not to expensive on part shark but my question is: how do i get it out? any suggestions would be helpful. and also there shouldn't be a problem riding it while waiting for the part? no leaks or anything so far. 1980 GS 1100E by the way. Thanks in advance.
    Are you able to get a pipe wrench on the edge of the cap? If not drill a hole in the center of it then with a jigsaw cut slots as close to the tube as you can without hitting the threads. Cut four or five slots from the center out then you should be able to knock the segments out. You'll have to flush the forks good but you should be doing that anyway. You can keep shavings from going too deep by doing this as near horizontal as possible.

Comment

i'll see if i can get a pipe wrench on it, there isn't much to work with but i may be able to get some bite. thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
      X