Hand grip Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand grip Recommendations

I now have my '81 GS1100EX on the road. Yay! It runs quick, handles really well, and is reliable, once that old petcock was replaced. It cleaned up really nice, too.

But even with the best carb balance, it is a bit buzzy in the handlebars at some speeds. The lower handlebars I installed don't help the buzz either, since I now put more weight on my hands. They do give my wife room to lean forward when I gun it. She will ride with me now. So I guess the lower handlebars are here to stay.

But. I now put more weight on the hand grips and those stock skinny hard rubber grips just don't hack it. My hands were tingling after a 10 mile trip through the twisties. Also, I seem to be spending a lot of time searching for a more comfortable hand position.

So what sort of grip do you guys recommend? Gel grips? Foam grips? Large diameter grips? Any specific recommendations?

Normal?

I would be concerned that there is some other issue that's causing the excess vibration. I have essentially the same bike you do and I've never noticed any vibration that seemed excessive or irritating...at any speed.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have Manic Salamander bar-end weights on all my bikes.

The vibes are worse with a shorter handlebar. And, as stated above, make sure your bike is synced and running smoothly.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

As the others have mentioned a good sync will minimize the buzz. I also am using the Salamanders per Brians post and they help as well. I am using these Progrip rally grips and have been happy with them. Most other grips I found are too short for the GS'es.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I've had these ProGrip Gel grips on two bikes and like them...I have a set for the 1100E hanging on the wall right now.

Nice colors, also.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            I've had these ProGrip Gel grips on two bikes and like them...I have a set for the 1100E hanging on the wall right now.

Nice colors, also.
            +1 on the ProGrip Gel grips.

Sooo much better than the stock grips, which always felt kinda like gripping a roll of washers to me.

Comment

Sounds like there is a pair of Pro-Grips in my future.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

+1 for the Pro-Grip Gels. Great feel, comfy on longer trips.

My fingers are longish; I prefer a larger-diameter grip.

I have the #714's (I believe they're marketed as 'dual-sport' grips).
                Perfect for my big ol' paws.

A buddy had the 714's on his Honda CBX, which has an odd high-frequency tingle in the bars. They calmed it down nicely...made me a believer.

Comment

I went through this a few months back. Dude at the local shop sold me a set of old school foamies that looked like the ones people put on back in the day. They are more comfortable then the damn $90 Kuryakans on my Sportster. They only cost me 12.99 + tax
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2010, 02:14 AM. Reason: Too drunk to type

Comment

I am pretty fond of Sunline GT grips. They grip my gloves really well, and I like the shape.

I really don't mind the stock Suzuki grips either though, so I guess I'm not that fussy, but when I need to get new ones, I always buy the Sunline GT's.

Their tacky feel to the gloves bakes them comfortable on long rides. You don't have to grip so hard.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

i use Tag handlebar grips,soft-medium compound.i know its offroad stuff but i have no complain about them.
                      Marc
                      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

I have been using the progrip 714's for the last 20,000 miles on my Kawi KLR650 (single cylinder, my main mode of transportation). I have done 400 mile days on that bike without the first tingle and and anyone who has much single cylinder experience would tell you, that's pretty amazing. They look new still too. I plan to get a pair for my 1100G once I get the brakes worked out and back on the road.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Salamander bar ends with throttle lock? They look great.

Comment

I think bwinger has those on his Vstrom. He likes it.

Comment

ProGrips are the bomb! Comfy and nice and tacky too.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                              X