Broken upper shock mount. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken upper shock mount. Help?

Well, I was mocking up my shocks and lower mount to determine the placement of the lower mounts. I bolt the upper mounts without an issues until I removed the nuts. The upper mount snapped on the left side and I was even wrenching hard.

What would be the best way to fix this? There appears to be enough material to cut with a die and use a thinner nut. Would this be a good idea?

Can these be replaced by grinding the welds w/o much problems? I do not mind putting larger strong bolts for the zrx shocks.

Any advice is welcomed.

Try the search function, this has been covered before

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

I did search and saw the first thread which did not say much. But I did not see the last one.

Thanks for the links.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I rewelded mine; sorry no pics. Grind both sides into cone shapes (point to point) so you can fill with weld. Don't just do a butt joint like my PO did.

Comment

Thanks, posplayr, for the great idea.

I knew that welding would come in handy one day when I was in high school but who knew it would be over 20 year later. I should have paid attention in shop class. And now it is to late to learn...wife says to many hobbies.

Anyways, I was able to cut some threads all the way to the 'step' and get a nut and have it flush. It should work with lock tight and/or safety wire.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
            Thanks, posplayr, for the great idea.

I knew that welding would come in handy one day when I was in high school but who knew it would be over 20 year later. I should have paid attention in shop class. And now it is to late to learn...wife says to many hobbies.

Anyways, I was able to cut some threads all the way to the 'step' and get a nut and have it flush. It should work with lock tight and/or safety wire.
            I took a simple HS welding class but was longer ago than that, I bought one of those cheap HF flux wire welders for $100. Theren ae a couple of tricks but it has paid for itself now with being able to fix little things like this.

the feed is everything and these are cheap; but if you are willing to do some clean up you can get the job done.

Comment

I had the same problem and had a guy fix it for $100 something.

No weld skills

Comment

I had one broken on my GK. I cut off flush with a grinding wheel, drilled it out with 15/16th bit and replaced it with an appropriate sized shoulder bolt from McMaster-Carr.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I though about doing a mixture of both for drilling, taping and then spot weld the bolt and cut the head off to 'match' the other side. I still may but this gets me through mock-up for the swing arm.

The next time I am in the states and near a HF. I will check it out for 100 bucks and get some scrap metal. It may be fun to try. Maybe, I'll tell the wife that I will airbrush the case and sell it...but she ain't dumb.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    I had one broken on my GK. I cut off flush with a grinding wheel, drilled it out with 15/16th bit and replaced it with an appropriate sized shoulder bolt from McMaster-Carr.
                    Actually, that was a 15/32" bit, I believe. The bolt was a 12mm shoulder bolt, and 15/32" (which works out to 11.9mm) made a very nice snug fit -- we tapped the bolt in with your BFH, and it definitely ain't going anywhere.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X