GS 1000 front-end squirrelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 front-end squirrelly

I just got my 1979 GS 1000 back on the road, and in riding it to work, a few problems make themselves apparent. Most I have a handle on, and she's running pretty well, but the front end wants to wander if you don't keep an eye on it all the time, and at highway speeds (70 mph) it is not confidence-inspiring. I believe from looking at the fiche on Alpha-Sports that it has tapered-roller steering-head bearings, and before disassembling the front end, I'm wondering if I might be able to adjust the tightness of the bearings with the adjuster at the bottom of the steering stem. I have heard that sometimes if the bearings are adjusted to tightly, the front end could feel exceptionally squirmy, although it feels like looseness. I also noticed the day after riding to work that the right fork seal is leaking, which is new. The front end felt this way before the leak showed up. Any sage words of advice, opinions, etc.? BTW, next winter I'm planning on swapping GSXR stuff (front end, wheels, brakes) onto this bike, so I don't want to dig into the current setup any more than necessary, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    1979 GS 1000

I always go for the easy fix first, it could be one of these issues...
    worn front tire, improper tire pressure, misaligned front and rear tires, if you have the air-assist forks an air pressure imbalance along with the leaking seal might contribute to the "squirms".
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

do you still have a main stand on the bike? if so put it on the stand and grab your forks at the bottom and check for freedom of movement lock to lock and also forwards and backwards play. they should swing smoothly with no forward/backwards play.
      thats the best way to check your headstock bearings
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

forks leaking? my left one seeps, then gets a little squirrelley.

Comment

Different fork oil levels in each leg could have an effect.

Are you used to riding these old bikes? Could be just the skinny fork legs that you're not used to.... A brace from fast from the past helps a lot.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The tires are new Dunlop GT 501s (freshly mounted and balanced, with GS cast wheels, the fork leak just showed up (and this bike has done this for a while). I'm not running any pressure in the forks. I've tried the movements of the forks and headstock bearings and not noticed anything pronounced. I'm very used to these GSes, having had a 1977 GS 750 and having redone a 1978 GS 750, and both of those felt solid, planted, and handled pretty well. I really need advice on how to try adjusting the bearing tension, i.e. whether to go looser or tighter, and what to look for in terms of what kinds of variables I might induce. I'd better start working on the GXSR stuff, so I can go that direction if that becomes the best option. But I will reexamine the items you mention. Thanks for all advice, everyone.
            Last edited by jknappsax; 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Loosen the stem off until it starts to move, then tighten it until it just stops...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks, Monk. I'll give that a try.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                X