Removal of rear tire on a 1982 GS1100 GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of rear tire on a 1982 GS1100 GK

So, I pulled out my trusty Clymer and read it.. re-read it.. then went to remove the tire.

And it turns out the instructions given in the book are PERFECT for the 1980 GS850 that I have as a parts bike.. But it seems that it doesn't match my 1982 GS 1100. So, looking at it, I thought I would come ask some questions here.

1) It seems that I need to remove the exhaust pipes to actually get at the items I need - since there doesn't seem to be a way to lift the swing arm and put a screw driver in the hole to hold it up like the 850 has. Am I correct on this? or am I missing something in how to raise the the swing arm.

2) The cotter pin for the axel seems to be on the back of the drive shaft, as opposed to the other side - is this correct?

So those are my first two.. I'm not normally mechanically inclined but so far, things seem to be going fairly well.. except for the book being wrong..

No need to remove the exhaust pipes if you remove the shocks. That allows the axle to drop below the level of the mufflers.

Personally, I don't think it makes much difference which way the axle goes, but I think all of my 850s have had the nut and cotter pin on the right.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      No need to remove the exhaust pipes if you remove the shocks. That allows the axle to drop below the level of the mufflers.

Personally, I don't think it makes much difference which way the axle goes, but I think all of my 850s have had the nut and cotter pin on the right.

Mine's on the left.

Agreed on all points. Do NOT remove the exhaust. Just take one end of each shock loose -- easy-peasy, no broken bolts in the head, no crying, suffering, and wailing...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hi,

I thought the 1100G had a pinch bolt in the right side of the axle. Other than that the procedure is pretty much the same. See the "Rear Wheel Removal Guide" on my website. As Mr. Steve says, just loosen the shocks and take one mount loose on each side (I usually just remove the shocks) to drop or raise the rear wheel so that the axle clears the exhaust.

Here's a couple of pictures of my high-tech wheel lift...

As you see, the axle is above the exhaust.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

rear tire removal

Yes, you are correct Mr. Basscliff. There is a pinch bolt on the right side of the swing arm. I just installed new tires on my gk2 restore. Quit a task, removal of sidebag and bracket assembly, rear mud flap. I had not installed my exhaust system yet, so that was one less interference I had to deal with. I have replaced rear tires on both my 82 850 and 82 1100 and never had to take down the exhaust. You have to angle the tire and rim into place which takes a little time. One note I might add, which silkchaos you may have done was to visibly inspect and clean your drive gear and moly lube the hell out of it. Removing it from hub is easy the rubber bushings also should be checked and lubed. Adds about 30 min. to the process. But, what is time when you have piece of mind that it is done right. Bob

Comment

Working...
          X