Fairing or No Fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing or No Fairing?

So, I am rebuilding a "project" bike I got. Its a 1982 GS 1100 GK. Only the previous owner removed the fairing, saddle bags, seat, etc..

Meanwhile, I picked up a 1980 GS 850 with no title, quite cheap. It had a fairing on it, which I have removed. I am trying to decide whether or not to put the fairing on the 1100. (Though I haven't yet checked to see if the Vetter mounting bracket will fit, or what might be required to make it fit). I will have to order a headlight bucket if I don't put the fairing on..

I have never ridden a bike with a fairing on the front, nor do I know anyone with one to ask their opinion. So, I thought this might be a good place to pop in and get opinions...

Originally posted by silkchaos View Post
    So, I am rebuilding a "project" bike I got. Its a 1982 GS 1100 GK. Only the previous owner removed the fairing, saddle bags, seat, etc..

Meanwhile, I picked up a 1980 GS 850 with no title, quite cheap. It had a fairing on it, which I have removed. I am trying to decide whether or not to put the fairing on the 1100. (Though I haven't yet checked to see if the Vetter mounting bracket will fit, or what might be required to make it fit). I will have to order a headlight bucket if I don't put the fairing on..

I have never ridden a bike with a fairing on the front, nor do I know anyone with one to ask their opinion. So, I thought this might be a good place to pop in and get opinions...

hmm i have used a large clear windshield in oct and nov

it makes for noticeable decrease in acceleration

but man when you have to twist your boot toe in behind the engine block to keep frostbit at bay its lovely
    almost toasty cept at night with hoarfrost on the road

ask me about my small trash bag single use glove gauntlet mod.

Comment

Originally posted by silkchaos View Post
      .... I will have to order a headlight bucket if I don't put the fairing on..
      GK forks are bigger diameter and wider spaced than a G (or any other).
      A G headlight mounting will not fit.
      This is one of the few differeences between a GK and a G (other than the obvious fairing-trunk-bags)

With fairing you can ride longer and further, due to not having to fight against the wind.
      With fairing you can ride in colder weather.
      With fairing you can ride longer and further in colder weather.
      With fairing you can ride longer and further in wet weather.

If riding in warmer weather behind a fairing you can stand on pegs every once in a while. And/or can hold one arm out further on the handle bars and catch a draft up one sleve and out the other, then move that hand in and other hand further out for catching a draft up that sleve.

Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's strictly a matter of personal taste.

I personally hate fairings, but I'm strange that way.

Try yours and see how you like it!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Oh, I know its a matter of personal taste - was just interested in peoples opinions and why they felt that way. I will probably try it, just because I seem to have everything to try it (if the bracket is the same as the '80 850), while i still need the bucket for the headlight to try it without (already bought mounting ears for the head light, and the light itself.)

Comment

It depends on what type of riding I'm doing....On the GK it's a fairing all the time and I like it. On long rides there's nothing better than a fairing to block the wind beating against your chest.

On the 750, I have a windsheild that I can put on or take off at will. If I'm going on a long high speed day, I'll put it on. If I'm heading down to hilly southern Indiana to ride the twistys, I'll take it off. It seems to be somewhat easier to ride a spirited ride without a big chunk of plexiglass in my face.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

What is your purpose?
              Long distance?
              All season riding?
              Blasting around the hood?
              Beer runs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                What is your purpose?
                Long distance?
                All season riding?
                Blasting around the hood?
                Beer runs?
                Now thats a great question. In the past - i used it just to bang around and go on the occasional ride.. My work was to far and it was to cold in the morning, BUt now I commute 7 miles so thats no biggie..

I would like to ride as much as possible so I'm thinking that if i can fit the bracket, that I will try the fairing..

Comment

Other than the lack of the lowers, I like a removable fairing/windshield over the fixed GK or Vetter type.
                  When you don't want it you just take it off, easy peasy. In real cold weather the lowers are a big help.

... Beer runs?
                  A fairing is best for this purpose because without one the wind blows the beer all over your face.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                    Other than the lack of the lowers, I like a removable fairing/windshield over the fixed GK or Vetter type.
                    When you don't want it you just take it off, easy peasy. In real cold weather the lowers are a big help.

A fairing is best for this purpose because without one the wind blows the beer all over your face.
                    I hate it when that happens.......

As a side note....I've ridden with and without the lowers on the GK. With them on and at speed, they tend to create a vortex of air that holds the heat from the engine against my legs. Not terribly uncomfortable, except on an day when the temperture is above normal. I leave them on because it just makes the bike look better.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      It's strictly a matter of personal taste.

I personally hate fairings, but I'm strange that way.

Try yours and see how you like it!
                      Spoken by a man with a fully faired V-Strom. But we all agree you are strange...
                      I just removed a Rifle fairing from my GS, but I replaced it with a small Spitfire windshield. Personally, I like having the bulk of the wind diverted by a small shield.

Comment

What is your purpose?
                        Beer runs?

Always a noble & worthy excuse to get on a bike...
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          Spoken by a man with a fully faired V-Strom. But we all agree you are strange...
                          I just removed a Rifle fairing from my GS, but I replaced it with a small Spitfire windshield. Personally, I like having the bulk of the wind diverted by a small shield.
                          Give the guy a break George....he did cut down the windshield.......
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I've been running mine naked for the last two months and I really like it, except far that 130km ride yesterday in the wind. That wasn't fun. Gonna get a spitfire or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                              Give the guy a break George....he did cut down the windshield.......
                              You have a point. I wonder what he would have done if the V-Strom was offered fairing-less.

Comment

Working...
                              X