what is clutch slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is clutch slippage?

Please explain to me exactly what clutch slippage is.

thanks

when u give the bike gas the rpm's go up but the bike dosent go any faster. u will give it gas like i said and the rpm's go up. u notice the bike isnt going faster then as u relize that the bike slowly catches up to the rpm's

Comment

would it act like the clutch is out? can u shift thru gears w/out using the clutch cable?

Comment

Originally posted by crazypaint View Post
        when u give the bike gas the rpm's go up but the bike dosent go any faster. u will give it gas like i said and the rpm's go up. u notice the bike isnt going faster then as u relize that the bike slowly catches up to the rpm's
        Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
        would it act like the clutch is out? can u shift thru gears w/out using the clutch cable?
        Must be an epidemic here, everybody's "Y" and "O" are broken or missing on the keyboards.

Smokienutz, when you say "the clutch is out", do you mean "the clutch is not working" or "the clutch lever is out"?

"Clutch slippage" is just what it sounds like, and crazypaint described it quite well (in spite of all the missing letters). Usually in the upper RPM range or with large throttle openings, the clutch will slip, the engine will speed up, the rest of the bike won't.

One of the most common causes is worn springs, but the fiber disks could be worn or there could be grooves in the inside of the clutch basket. Just open up the clutch cover, measure the springs (they will likely be too short), measure the thickness of the fiber disks (they will likely be OK, unless you have been doing a LOT of racing), inspect the inside of the clutch basket. You will need a new gasket (about $10). New springs are $20-25. New fibers are $75+. I have never priced a basket but I know it won't be cheap.

My money is on just needing springs and a gasket.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by crazypaint View Post
          will it only do this @ high rpm's? because mine is doing doing this in first at start up.

Comment

The crank is spinning the clutch hub and the fibers and steels aren't grabbing and just spinning on each other so it's not turning the inner clutch hub as the same speed. The inner clutch is connected to the tranny.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              The crank is spinning the clutch hub and the fibers and steels aren't grabbing and just spinning on each other so it's not turning the inner clutch hub as the same speed. The inner clutch is connected to the tranny.
              so.. to fix this? i need a new clutch?

Comment

Could be clutch adjustment and/or
                Springs sagging and/or
                Worn clutch fibers and steels and/or
                wrong oil
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Could be clutch adjustment and/or
                  Springs sagging and/or
                  Worn clutch fibers and steels and/or
                  wrong oil
                  i know the PO before put castrol hi milage oil in it. after i got it home i drained it.. now it has castrol (white jug) in it,10w40.

Comment

Just look three posts earlier in the thread.
                    Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    One of the most common causes is worn springs, but the fiber disks could be worn or there could be grooves in the inside of the clutch basket. Just open up the clutch cover, measure the springs (they will likely be too short), measure the thickness of the fiber disks (they will likely be OK, unless you have been doing a LOT of racing), inspect the inside of the clutch basket. You will need a new gasket (about $10). New springs are $20-25. New fibers are $75+. I have never priced a basket but I know it won't be cheap.

My money is on just needing springs and a gasket.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

prior to opening anything
                      read the manual and follow the adjustment procedure

it may blow your mind as to just how far off an adjustment can be and how it affects clutch performance

Comment

clutch cable adjustment is a snap... if your clutch handle moves more than the thickness of a quarter you need to give it a touch adjustment. Working on fixing my own clutch slippage issue. Springs were way under service spec...and plates were flat.... try the cable first if not takign the clutch cover off is a piece of cake...I should know I did it last weekend

Comment

well i fixed the cluth issue. the PO had the wrong parts on it. i got a new spring and oiled the screw assembly. lol 2 hrs later got her shifting rite. when i bought the bike she had 5 gears, now she has 6 . o and added the nut that is on the set screw. i also fixed alot of oil spray. i replaced the phillips screws w/ stainless steal allenheads and seems to be working good. just have a few leaks and a few bolts and she be road ready. i am hoping to get the shifter gasket done soon. she is spilling alot of oil. head gasket needs replaced but i am not that confident yet for that one.

Comment

For what its worth, if you ever experience clutch slippage in anything, car, bike, whatever, back out of the throttle and allow the clutch to hook up. My old girl friend had her clutch cable adjusted too tight on her Subaru. When it slipped, she gave more throttle in order to get the acceleration she wanted. This resulted in overheating the clutch and caused it to glaze. I corrected the cable adjustment, but it still wasn't right after that.

Incredibly, one of her friends used the car and her response to the slipping was the same. Gas it.

It is best not to allow the slippage to continue. Clutches tend to slip in higher gears, because torque on them is higher than in the lower gears. Ir you have slippage on hills for instance, you might get over the hill without slippage with a downshift.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

well i broke down and i am paying a mechanic to fix this one. not a bad price imo. 800 bucks to replace the upper gaskets and adjust timing and valves.

Comment

Working...
                              X