Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's done: 1980 GS1100E restoration

Well, she's finally finished and ready to strut her stuff

Left-side, rear quarter view: Close to original with some subtle mods...

Front-left engine detail: Note OE exhaust and reproduction decals (and a lot more)...

The "Silver Streak" will be cruising the streets of New England starting next week, can't wait. As many of you know, I was fortunate enough to have had an '80 1100E (exactly like this) when they were brand new. I sold my '80E to upgrade to the champagne '82E and have kicked myself ever since... Don't get me wrong, I love the '82E, too, but the '80E was my first "superbike" and it will always have a sentimental place in my heart.

I bought this particular "80E from a GS Forum member (Mike Bradford - thanks Mike!) and went to John Wilson at Akron Suzuki Motorworks for the restoration. I've worked my butt off to afford the work done and I'm very grateful to be in a position to have done this resto. The work done on this bike is amazing, I'm not an expert wrench and couldn't have ever brought this E back to the mechanical and cosmetic condition seen above.

More pics to come...
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2010, 07:42 PM.

Good looking bike.
    I'd think twice about actually riding it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

that thing belongs in a museum
      at least bring it in the house in the winter

move your wifes chair out to the garage if need be.

stunning work you should be pleased
      pleased and scared to drive it

Comment

Thanks guys, but I believe you have to ride these bikes to really enjoy them.

Oh, and I always store my bikes in the house during winter months - it gets too dang cold in the garage.

Comment

WOW, nice work, id be affraid to sit on her with shoes on....lol. great job on the bike..

Comment

Nice, very nice...

Every so often, someone puts up pics of a bike that I just know I could not be allowed to own or ride...
            Way to nice for me...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Very Nice, alot of work and bucks I'm sure. Exhaust is beautiful. I like the classic look and kept my 81 GS750EX all stock as well. While it is a 16V little brother, of course it is doesnt have the grunt of the 1100 .

Congrats

Comment

Beautiful bike, Tom.
                It looks new enough to have a factory warranty again.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Very Nice, alot of work and bucks I'm sure. Exhaust is beautiful. I like the classic look and kept my 81 GS750EX all stock as well. While it is a 16V little brother, of course it is doesnt have the grunt of the 1100 .Congrats
                  Thanks man, cost wasn't too bad, a lot less expensive than a new bike. I sure wish we weren't on opposite coasts, it would be great to have a pic of our two bikes!! It'd look like a print ad from 80/81 Your 750E is gorgeous btw, as nice as any 1100E IMO

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Beautiful bike, Tom.
                  It looks new enough to have a factory warranty again.
                  Thanks Steve, much appreciated Can you imagine what Suzuki's response would be if I asked them for an extended warranty??
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Nice job Well done!

Comment

Well done indeed. Gotta love a stock restoration like that. First rate! Enjoy!
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

July Bike of the Month??

Comment

Yes, definately has my vote for next bike of the month! Fantastic job, beautiful machine. Can't beat stock I reckon. I have the same model/colour 750 (wish it was the 1100)

Hope to have mine half as good as that one day!

Comment

Nice job, very, very well done... perhaps we'll cross paths here around NE this Summer.
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Exhaust is beautiful.
                              No doubt ! Did you have it re-chromed ? Fabulous !!
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X