New issue showed up this evening...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New issue showed up this evening...

Been driving my 1100EX around for a few weeks now, finally thinking I've gotten her completely reliable.

Ha!

Drove to the pizza place for dinner tonight & when I went to leave, the starter just spun... all I heard was whrrrrrrrrr when I hit the starter button.

Roll started her in 2nd gear & beat feet home. Now, I know nothing of starters & starter clutches & all that stuff so please tell what's the most likely problem here.

I'm off to the shed (otherwise known as Mike's Bike's) to pull the stator cover off & have a look see.

Guess I'm going to expand my wrenching knowledge a little more!!
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Sounds like the starter clutch may have gone south.

Comment

Those rotors are a bear to get off. Get the correct puller and some Mapp gas. Also figure to buy a new starter clutch as they dont really rebuild. Of course you might hav gotten luck and simply had the bolts sheer

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Those rotors are a bear to get off. Get the correct puller and some Mapp gas.

Hopefully HF has something that will work... any tricks or tips for getting the rotor off??

As I said, this is all new to me, so I'm looking forward to the task.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Hopefully HF has something that will work... any tricks or tips for getting the rotor off??

As I said, this is all new to me, so I'm looking forward to the task.
          You need a specialized puller, not some three jaw type. Maybe someone around here has one they could loan you?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            You need a specialized puller, not some three jaw type. Maybe someone around here has one they could loan you?
            So when I hit the starter while watching everything after removing the stator cover, the rotor & large gear behind it spin. As previously mentioned, I know nothing of this starter clutch magic but do know I have to remove the rotor to figure out why the crank isn't happily turning when I hit the button.

Anyone have a picture of this specialized puller?? There's a shop in town that I'm going to call tomorrow & see if I can rent/borrow one unless I can gin something up that will do the job without damaging the rotor.

Hey, I knew nothing of carbs & forks, & calipers & master cylinders a short while ago either, but soon I'll be a half-a$$ed expert on starter clutches (maybe).

TIA

Mike
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

OK, so I put a 22mm socket on the rotor nut & it loosens right up without me restraining the rotor at all - then I simply pull the rotor/starter clutch assy off with my hands !!!

So much for the rotor removal tool

Sooooo, how does this starter clutch thing work anyway?? Do those 3 rollers on the starter clutch ID press against the shoulder of that large gear as the starter spins it, then are moved out of the way by centrifical force after it starts?

Going to take the starter clutch apart now & see if anythings broken, but I'm thinking the brillant PO had removed this before & didn't tighten things properly, nor used any thread locker...

1) Should I replace the spring, push pin & rollers as a matter of general maintenance?

2) Since I don't have a rotor holder tool, how do I keep the rotor from turning to torque that nut to, yikes 120 ft-lbs !! Can I simply put it in gear & apply the rear brake?

3) I was planning on using permatex RED thread locker on the 3 starter clutch bolts & the rotor nut - is that sufficient??

TIA,

Mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Turns out the only thing wrong with my starter clutch assy was it wasn't tight enough on the rotor shaft & was just spinning freely when the starter motor was engaged... I actually almost finger loosened the rotor nut, and the rotor came right off when I simply grabbed it & pulled.

I was lucky, easy fix, but I still need something to hold the rotor while I torque the nut.

Will one of those "strap" wrenches from Home Depot do the job?? I checked the torque spec twice: 115-125 ft/lbs. Talk about gorilla force!
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

This is very common on the small taper crank end motors.
                  Kent and I had the same problem at the rally last year about a half an hour apart. I thought it was karma since I laughed at him. Mine went south and then I blew the motor 800 miles from home.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just reinstall the assembly & put RED Loctite on the threads on the crank & AIR IMPACT the nut on. Do NOT put anything on the taper of the crank or inside of the rotor! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      Turns out the only thing wrong with my starter clutch assy was it wasn't tight enough on the rotor shaft & was just spinning freely when the starter motor was engaged... I actually almost finger loosened the rotor nut, and the rotor came right off when I simply grabbed it & pulled.

I was lucky, easy fix, but I still need something to hold the rotor while I torque the nut.

Will one of those "strap" wrenches from Home Depot do the job?? I checked the torque spec twice: 115-125 ft/lbs. Talk about gorilla force!
                      Just for reference, I would mike the roller OD and the starter gear hub OD. There are critical dimensions that once you go below that the starter will not grab anymore. Since yours basically fell off the next time should be easier.

Comment

Nothing a little duct tape and bubblegum won't take care of
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                        X