Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chronicles of Suzy- 82 GS850GL

Hello all,

My name is Rat and I have a problem . I am a magnet for derelict vehicles .
    Somehow they find me , I can't seem to help it .

With that said , this is going to be a worklog of sorts on " Suzy " ( ya I know, novel name ), A almost beat to death , 82 GS850GLZ .

My neighbor had it , BARELY ran ( only at about the redline ) and I got to feeling sorry listening to this guy kill the thing and terrorizing the neighborhood with it ( " see if it clears out " lol ) .

A C note later , I took my prize home to see what I had done

Preliminary tests

Suzy had a bad case of not hitting on all four cylinders , verified by the highly scientific touch the ( should be ) hot exhaust pipe method . In addition starting was extremely difficult if not impossible .

I pulled the carbs ( previous owner's brother "had just gone through them" ) and discovered

I had 3 of 4 pilot jets clogged solid
    I was missing the pilot jet plugs
    all four carbs were just assembled wrong ( discovered later )
    all four intake boots were shot ( butchered actually )

So I cleared the jets reassembled the bike and low and behold we had a FOUR cylinder motorcycle again .

from " Barely running " to " Runs like crap "

So at least I knew I had a viable platform to work with , let the parts hunting begin ...

Rat

Comment

Intake Boot Carnage

Previous Owner managed to tear the rubber off all four Intake boots ! My best guess is they did it when they wrestled the carbs off " to go through them " . They then tried to epoxy the rubber back on to the baseplates , Nooooo it don't work .

Some pics

Looks just wonderful , doesn't it ?

Me thinks perhaps epoxy might not work so well

Nahhhh , no air leaks here ( all four were like this ! )

Proof positive Mr Robert Barr ( and god knows how many others ) know EXACTLY what they are talkin about ( only one blown O ring though )

In case you were curious what lives inside a carb boot ( the metal part )

All in all , amazed I even got it to fire .

Rat
      Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM. Reason: add photo

Comment

Man!! why didn't I think of that! those photo's should win a prize for something....
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Wow; you really rescued that one!

Comment

Even more tests

Before I got in too deep with the Suzuki parts people I decided to run a compression test to make sure I didn't have any other surprises in store .

Ran with carbs removed , ice cold motor cheap old compression tester

Cyl 1 125 psi
            Cyl 2 112 psi
            Cyl 3 112 psi
            Cyl 4 125 psi

Kind of an anomaly on the center cylinders , not sure what is up with that , but good enough to make me keep going .

Rat

Comment

My " gone through " carbs

Well even though my carbs were all good according to previous owner I tore em down any way .

As stated previously

3 of 4 pilot jets were clogged
              All 4 pilot jet plugs were long gone
              3 of 4 passageways in the float bowls were clogged up
              2 of 4 main jet washers were the wrong kind
              all 4 CV boots and slides were " clocked " wrong

And thats probably enough , I wont be going into huge detail on the rebuild process , John Bloemer's guide says it better than I ever could
              ( FANTASTIC guide ! )

Some early pics

Just a reference shot I took of the linkages , notice how squeaky clean it is .

And another

Early stages of disassembly notice my super trick parts organizer

Why you need to take them COMPLETELY apart ( looks good , huh ? )

Later
              Rat

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude View Post
                Early stages of disassembly notice my super trick parts organizer

Nice organizer.

Just so you know, ... you are not alone.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Before I got in too deep with the Suzuki parts people I decided to run a compression test to make sure I didn't have any other surprises in store .

Ran with carbs removed , ice cold motor cheap old compression tester

Cyl 1 125 psi
                  Cyl 2 112 psi
                  Cyl 3 112 psi
                  Cyl 4 125 psi

Kind of an anomaly on the center cylinders , not sure what is up with that , but good enough to make me keep going .

Rat
                  That reminds me... I saw no mention of checking valve clearances. 2 and 3 might have some tight ones.

This is a nice rescue you have goin' on. That's going to clean up very nicely for a $100 buy.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

So I see

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Nice organizer.

Just so you know, ... you are not alone.

Dang , the mega deluxe one !
                    I shoulda saved up .

Giving me workbench envy
                    Rat

Comment

Not yet but its on the to-do list

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      That reminds me... I saw no mention of checking valve clearances. 2 and 3 might have some tight ones.

This is a nice rescue you have goin' on. That's going to clean up very nicely for a $100 buy.
                      My plan was to get it complete enough to put about 100 miles on it then run the valves .

Suzy sat for an unknown period of time ( probably years ) before the neighbor proceeded to kill it .

I also have some substantial blowby when it has run . so I may also have some less than ideal ring sealing .

Just curious the center cylinders are the exact same readings ( ran the test twice to verify )

Rat

Comment

Hey Rat,
                        Looks like you will have a nice bike when done there.
                        Most of the guys here will inform you that less than ideal sealing rings are a direct result of sitting too long, and will usually work themselves back in with a little extra twisting of the wrist. That is, give it the 'ol Italian tune-up treatment.

I would pour a litle seafoam into each cylinder through the spark plug hole, and let it sit for a few days while finishing up the carbs and other necessary maintenance issues like checking the valve clearances, changing the spark plugs, change the brake fluid and ensure the pads are good with proper braking action, then pour a half of a can of seafoam into the oil, the rest in the tank, and ride the snot out of it!

The seafoam won't hurt anything if it is left to sit in the cylinders for a long time either, so no big rush on that part of it.

Once you have given her a good workout, change the oil and filter. Try not to hurl when you see all of the gunk that comes out of the engine.

Oh, and make sure the tires are good, old tires are not condusive to good health for either you, or your bike.

From there, you should be able to have a decent benchmark to go from, and make sure to clean up your wiring and connectors so you can effectively check your charging system.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps.

Comment

Hey Rat,

Interesting thread. I'll be watching... Love to see them pulled back from the brink of certain destruction.

Nice documentation; we all appreciate photos.

Wonder if your equal compression on 2&3 might be blamed on a blown head gasket?

In the photos it doesn't look too bad, in spite of it being an "L".

Edit: Never mind. In a fit of blind stupidity (these happen to me quite often) I thought your head gasket might be leaking between cylinders. But since theres a big ol' cam chain tunnel between 'em its not too likely...
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Dont feel bad

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                            Hey Rat,

In the photos it doesn't look too bad, in spite of it being an "L".

Edit: Never mind. In a fit of blind stupidity (these happen to me quite often) I thought your head gasket might be leaking between cylinders. But since theres a big ol' cam chain tunnel between 'em its not too likely...
                            Can't say I am huge fan of the cruiser style on these myself , but its what I got to work with . I really think the epitome of the Japanese Motorcycle is the four cylinder standard style bike.

And I decided it couldn't be the head gasket cause the numbers were too high , And I too didn't even think about that cam chain .

Comment

Dang , the mega deluxe one !
                              I shoulda saved up .

Giving me workbench envy
                              Rat
                              Saved up?

No, you would have saved by getting some like those.

My wife got me those on one of her many trips to the Dollar store.
                              If you look carefully at the first and third sets, you will see that they are doubled up.
                              The pair of two tins that hold six muffins each are a whopping 99 cents.

That's right, for just under $2 (plus tax), you can get your own set of "mega deluxe" carb parts organizers.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X