Chain and starting problems fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain and starting problems fuel leak

I have a simple question and an issue I can't figure out. First how much play should i have in my chain? The issue i am having is that recently my bike has been shutting off. I replaced the stator 2 months ago and i haven't had any issues until now. I rode my bike until it ran out of gas to see how many miles i get on one tank because my gas gauge doesnt work after i put gas in it, it didnt want to start that battery was getting weak so i popped the clutch and got it started and it ran fine after that. Recently i was at a stop light and when i tried to switch to the reserve tank the bike shut off and when i tried to start it the battery the battery was drained and i had to jump it to get it started when i got it home i noticed fuel was leaking from the tube connected to the airbox. i put more gas in it and moved to switch on the petcock the next morning there was a nice sized puddle of fuel under the bike i tried to start it and it refused to turn over. so i jumped it again it idled really high for about 1 min and the rpms went back down. the bike ran fine for 2 min and then it shut off so i went to restart it and it didnt start. so i jumped it again and it shut off after 2-3 min after the third time i adjusted the idle and drove it for about 5 min. this morning i drove it and it started fine. I have no idea where to start to fix these problems i'm new to working on bikes so any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off, welcome to the forum. Basscliff should be along later today to give you a proper welcome and a link to a site with a TON of valuable information. Go read it and follow everything.

Secondly, as I'm sure others will say too, what kind of bike do you have? Do you already have the owners manual? I know that with my GS550T I can only have about an inch or so of play so reading the book will help alot.

Again, welcome. These are a great bunch of guys.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

1982 GS550L 24500 miles i just bought a repair manual don't have an owners manual

Comment

I think the chain section is in chapter 9 or 10 of the repair manual and so it should be the same as mine - no more than about an inch or so.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X