Mechanical restoration in Chicago area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical restoration in Chicago area?

It had always been my intention to do the work on my 1982 GS650G myself, but I am gradually coming to the realization that I may never have the time to do everything. The bike sat for a few years in my dad's garage, and I inherited it. I guess the last time it ran, it had what he assumed was some kind of vacuum leak (surging and wouldn't stay running). I think probably every piece of rubber including the tires probably needs to be replaced, and the carbs could probably be rebuilt too.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places that do this kind of work in the Chicagoland area? I am in the South burbs.

Thanks,

Jim

I'm not an expert wrench and knew a full resto was way beyond my abilities. I reached out to John Wilson at Akron Suzuki Motorworks (http://suzuki-gs-bikes.smugmug.com/) and he was able to bring my '80 GS1100E back to better than new condition for a fair price. Check him out

Comment

Finding someone to do the restoration will cost in excess of the value of the bike... Don't look at it as a giant undertaking,but as a few small jobs. Start with something you are familiar with. Have you ever taken carbs off a motorcycle? Start there and know that you will be buying intake boots and air cleaner boots... Now you have one piece to start on. If it is beyond your doing, start reading on BassCliffs site. If all else fails, look around the site here and ship them to the expert.. cycleorings.com. You can do it!
      Curt
      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. joviyach,

These are simple, reliable machines. It's not hard to do your own work. I've collected a lot of information on my website and the guys here are real experts. Who knows? You might like wrenching on your own bike. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Bought my GS750E in decent shape... unknown miles....leaking from everything immaginable, smokey dead battery...dirty carbs...shot rear suspension road like that for a month then took it all down in a single winter, Rebuilt the top end, sent seat to sargent, polished a few bits reassembled and put new painted bits on winter of season #2 Took I would say atleast 40 hours but it fired right back up after that and for the most part has been trouble free....minus parts that I didn't replace wearing out

Having good moral support here helps.....if you have a manual and can follow directions you can do most things yourself without worry. Take things in pieces and you will be surprised how easy it is. Make sure you use the correct tools else the jobs can be difficult....don't ask....

Comment

Working...
          X