Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000E Project

Good afternoon all.
    I'm a new rider and fairly new to the motorcycle scene. Short time lurker here in the forum.

A friend stumbled upon this treasure when he purchased a home that belonged to an older gentleman that passed away.

He has sold it to me as a parts bike for $50 bucks. I can see the potential hidden away in this bike. My plans are to work this bike back to working order, then back to a restored state (or modded state - I like a lot of steam-punk wonders). Either way I figure I would post here and catalog my progress... I have more images if wanted and I am able to re-size if the size is a problem. I host everything myself.

Wish me luck.

Good luck,looks like a good bike to restore.Where are you located?

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Located in Maine. From what I'm being told the bike was in good condition when stored, then when the husband passed away, the wife had to make room in the garage and moved it outside. My friend told me it has suffered 2-3 winters... ;_; Makes me sad.

Comment

hi and welcome,
        This bike look to have good parts, marzzochi, oil cooler, cr carbs, 1100 swingarm, exhaust.
        For 50$ its really a great find.i,m almost jealous.
        The 1000 is a good bike very pleasure to ride.
        Marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Some kind of fork brace too... that exhaust is a Yoshi like mine.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Some additional pictures:

The engine... I was told some Aircraft cleaner, oven cleaner etc would be able to get some of this oxidation off.

Comment

8rt Find: Since your 1979 1000E endured being outside for several winters in Maine it's probably advisable to tear it down and replace all the severely rusted pieces along with every seal that holds fluid be it engine, brake fluid, gas, carbs, fork seals etc.
              1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Thanks for the comments, it's giving me something to look forward to. I have the next few days off from work so I plan to get right into the nitty gritty. I bought the Haynes manual and I have reviewed the rebuild carbs PDF that was posted by John B. I am stoked!

Comment

Nice Buy !
                  That was probably the previous owner's baby at some point , lotsa go faster mods by the looks of it .

Comment

Nice find !! I think bringing it back to it's former glory would be the way to go. Lots of nice extras on her. She will be a true beauty when you're done. Good Luck and have fun with the process.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Lots of work ahead but a great find; as has been said lots of period go-fast goodies. Looks like 33mm smoothbores as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that motor has been built up; all the mods seem to point that way.

Comment

wow, what a find!! can't wait to follow your progress with this one.

Comment

Nice! The seat, swingarm, carbs! Wow!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate your enthusiasm. Like I said before I'm fairly new to this whole scene but as one of my mechanic friends told me, designs are in place for a reason. I have scowered this site for most of my answers and methods of doing things.

I have a few new pics taken today, just moved it into the Garage. I didn't get the key till last night, but low and behold... Zook tools!

Any thoughts? I'm taking my wife out to eat and won't be back till a bit later. Thanks!

Comment

I'd start with the carbs and see if it'll run. If so, start tearing down, clean, paint, replace, etc and make it new.

Comment

Working...
                              X