Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 Honda Gold Wing GL1000

Hello All,
    I went today to look at a 79 Gold Wing GL1000.
    It's been sitting for about 10 months. It has a been converted to electronic ignition. New stator. Water cooled. It is complete and original in appearance.
    Vetter fairing, bags and trunk. Highway bars and lights. recovered seat.
    I'm told it ran fine. The battery is no good. I have not heard it run yet, that will happen over the weekend when the owner gets a new battery.
    He is asking $850.00. Can I get some feedback, opinions, etc.

If that is what floats your boat, GET IT.

A running Wing of ANY year is worth 2-3 times that. The fact that it has all the luggage only adds to it value.

I know most of the guys here will strip off a fairing or saddlebags, but that's what the Wing is made for.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. One of my buddies has one just like it. It's a decent touring bike, has some inherent Honda problems, but it's a solid bike.

Comment

What do you mean by inherent Honda problems?
        Please explain.

Comment

In the early model 1000cc wings, there were two problems that I've read about, only experienced one of them helping my buddy out. Somewhere along the line, the starter on his was replaced by the PO (just like a zuke, crank too long, overheat....) and a bike shop replaced that replacement starter for him with the wrong one. I looked that up on an old 'wing forum a few years ago, and they said it was common for that starter problem to happen and also for bike shops to substitute one that wasn't really the correct one for the bike. Another one was the timing chain for driving the camshafts. If it sounds extra noisy, it's getting ready to fail, and it will take out a lot of components when it does due to valve/piston interference.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info.
            Also it has 32,000 miles. For a wing I don't think that is a lot.

Comment

32k miles? That's almost showroom new. Buy it! Around here, where prices are pretty low, it wouldn't be less than $1500.00.

Comment

Hell I think I'd buy that one, and I hate oldwangs.. But then, when I got through with it you wouldnt know it was a wing.
                Seen some pretty cool custom wingers out there and for 800 bux? Sheesh.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

buy the bike already

I mean its the original crusie all day at 90 and be relaxed while doing so

a lot of folks like bikes for agressive vanyon carving

I personally like them because if you dont look down you can actaully ppretend you are flying

Comment

I would buy it.. Check the charging circuit, stator replacement requires engine removal I think? So Ask some questions.. I would definately change the timing belt just for piece of mind because it is probably the original..

Comment

A little over a year ago I was in California (Moreno Valley) and while searching craigslist I came across a Gold Wing that I would love to have bought, someone had removed all the bags and fairing, everything that makes it a tourer, changed the bars and everything and cafe'd it out, that was actually a really good looking bike I'm sure it wouldn't handle as well as a conventional cafe bike but it sure did look good.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Was it yellow by any chance,I saw one on ebay a few years back best looking wing I ever seen.

Comment

GL1000 Info

I presently own 3 early Wings. Nice bikes. You can find all the info you will need at www.randakks.com

Comment

Originally posted by hacksaw55 View Post
                            Was it yellow by any chance,I saw one on ebay a few years back best looking wing I ever seen.

The one I saw was black, it was impressive.
                            I never realized that a Gold Wing could look that good as a cafe racer.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                              I never realized that a Gold Wing could look that good as a cafe racer.
                              Did someone say "cafe'd Wing"?

Lots more interesting bikes (all Wings, of course) can be seen at the Naked Goldwings Club.

Or, if you want something a little bit "wilder", how about this?

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X