Got the 81 GS850 Riding today!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the 81 GS850 Riding today!!!

So after 16 years She's back on the road. No front brakes (rebuilding the front caliper - the piston is pitted and shot) - barely any rear brakes, need to fill w/fluid and bleed, but the drivetrain is sound, and she's rolling u[ and down the court! Thanks to everyone, especially BikeCliff, for the advice. ANNND.... a few more questions if y'all don't mind!

- When accelerating there seems to be a sluggish response. I'm assuming this is because I rebuilt the carbs and they need a tuneup (balancing+mixture setting). I'm expecting I'll need to take this to a pro, any home-garage method anyone knows of that works?

- Know where to get the plastic side covers for these old bikes?

- Anyone know where to get cheap tires for putting around on? It'll be awhile till I get the links worked out so all I need is something that won't blow out on me.

Here's some of the work I've done:

- Carb rebuild
    - Pained/de-rusted front tank
    -petcock rebuild
    - added 2 fuel filters before carbs (fear of extra rust!)
    - battery
    - grips
    - plugs
    - valve clearance
    - pulled brakes (and didn't replace yet:-))
    - refurbished seat
    - oil&filter change

Work was performed over a period of 4 months. Not bad at all for a free, now running bike with great mechanical pedigree!

Those R some BIG pictures !! But what the hey..... its a big day.

Search Tires and keep checking the vendors. Someone always seems to be having a sale.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I agree with Dave wow big pictures.
      (Quote)
      - When accelerating there seems to be a sluggish response. I'm assuming this is because I rebuilt the carbs and they need a tuneup (balancing+mixture setting). I'm expecting I'll need to take this to a pro, any home-garage method anyone knows of that works?

*I am no expert but I would say part of your slugglish problem is the two extra fuel filters. I know it sounds like good logic but i have read more than one thread on here about one extra fuel filter causing performance problems and you got 2.
      *As far as tunning the carbs look here:

That is from Bikecliff's webpage.(See no plagerism)

/Quote/
      - Know where to get the plastic side covers for these old bikes?

*EBAY is your friend and look in the classified section at the bottom of the forums. You can also look in Craigslist you will occasionally see a part out.

Last but not least cheap tires. Just ask your local bike shop they can find you some for around $60 a piece and they are new but they are "Cheap". I just did that to get me to winter then I plan on getting some nice tires for the next riding season.

Well that is my $.02 hope it was helpful.

Paul
      "The Real Florida Cracker"

Comment

Hi,

I'm glad you find my site useful.

Yes, if your tank is in good shape with no rust, there's no need for extra fuel filters.

Petcock rebuilds are not a 100% fix. A new petcock is. Is your petcock set for PRIME?

Brakes are a good thing! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You were right (again...)!

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

I'm glad you find my site useful.

Yes, if your tank is in good shape with no rust, there's no need for extra fuel filters.

Petcock rebuilds are not a 100% fix. A new petcock is. Is your petcock set for PRIME?

Brakes are a good thing! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          So the issue was the petcock and my stupidity. I don't think I have enough gas in the tank for the thing to run in std position. When I set to std, and apply suction to the petcock by removing the vacuum line and sucking on it, no fuel flows out. When I set to res fuel flows out. So I set the thing to reserve, she fired right up and I was zooming up and down the road in no time! Now i'm onto a brake issue (post is in brakes forum...)

I had to attach this pic of my oldest son practicing his riding skills.

Comment

Working...
          X