New Project 79 GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Project 79 GS1000E

Hey all, havent been posting on here much lately, but have been lurking reading threads...

So here is my new project... just got it like a week ago. My buddy Jim up in NoVA has owned this bike for like 27 years... he went and bought himself a brand new bike and bless his wife Carolyns heart... she told him he should sell me his old GS. So I had to make a trip up to Jersey for a delivery and on the way back, swung by Annandale and threw it in the back of the truck...BTW, getting the bike on the truck with a lift gate...little bit tricky..lol

I hope to start the build on it this fall and should have it completed by spring...if all goes well. Still need to give it a full once over and see the condition of everything... the only thing I know it needs is the R&R mod done. I had bought him one from Duanne and had it shipped to him last year but he never got around to fixing the charging system...

here are some pics

Nice looking bike, looks like it should be pretty easy to clean up. Have fun! Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

New Project

Looks like you have a real nice bike there. Should make a real good rider when you get done. Enjoy!
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

That bike is going to be "sweet" when you're done, great buy!!

Comment

Can't wait to see what you do with this one . Your 650 was fairly amazing .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

is it just me or does that rear sprocket look really weird

Comment

thanks guys!! I dont know too much into detail about the 79 1000e. most of the info I do know about it has come from the people on this site. This will be my first tear into a roller bearing motor... should be intresting. The bike has like 47k miles on it and I think he said the carbs are from a 78 gs1000(something about the choke control being on the carbs now instead of up in the center of the bar).

I will end up doing a complete tear down on it and it build it back up again much like I did on my 650, but havent decided what direction I will go with this one... in the back of my mind I was thinking a black and gold scheme might be cool...hmmm... Once I decide what color the frame will be, the rest of it becomes easier to decide as I go.

If anyone sees anything in the pics that doesnt look right, please let me know so i dont chase my tail on getting parts that I might need...small little mods(for the better) that dont really change the fact visually that its a 79 GS1000E are cool, but anything that just isnt right, has to go.

right off the bat it looks like the gas tank will be getting replaced... it is just too dented up for me to try and make perfect. So if anyone has a spare tank around that aint fubar that you would sell, let me know.

It came with a solo style seat too, but I cant remember the brand name that was on it right now... it has a dynaIII ignition on it... progressive rear shocks... unsure about the front springs...

Thanks again guys!!

Comment

The tank in the pics does not look too bad at all. GS1000 tanks are hard to come by so a repair might be required instead of a replacement.
                Any pics of the solo seat? I know somebody that might be interested...me.
                Nice score, Bribird.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice find! I would consider replacing that unsightly rear sprocket though.

Great bike!

Comment

alu pizza sprocket.
                    I rather focus on removing the fairing before the sprocket.
                    Like Steve said the 1000 fuel tanks are kind of rare and pricey, i would try to fix it or pay someone to do it .
                    Nice find,
                    Marc
                    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                    1978 GS1000C X2
                    1978 GS1000E X2
                    1979 GS1000S
                    1979 gs1000
                    1983 gs400e

Comment

Bike looks good. I agree with Steve about the tank, easy fix. Can't see anything "wrong" with the bike per say other than it needs to be gone though. If your friend still has the stock pipes please don't forget to grab them; stock exhaust systems are getting hard to come by these days.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

ok.. so the solo is a Guiliari Spa dated 1981 on the bottom pan... it even has Suzuki printed on the back...looks to be in perfect shape. may be cool.. will have to mock it up when i get to that point on the build.

the gas tank has 2 really deep dents on the leading curve of the tank...one on each side, the one on the left side is to the point it has made a crease in the metal.. will see what i can do with it..

The rear sprocket... well, there it is. it kinda matches the solid undrilled look of the rotors... so maybe with some powdercoat treatment on it, it might not look so bad...lol

The original exhaust he said was totally rusted out and he tossed it years ago... dont know what brand of 4into1 it has on it now...

Ya, the huge vetter fairing and the luggage rack will be going bye bye for sure... i got a pretty cool old school Shoei I might put on it instead...

Comment

So long as you are saying mock up instead of hack up the Guiliari seat. They are a fairly rare item as well. Your score just keeps getting better.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

hey Steve, well cool.. ya, I am not the type to hack it up...lol. The seat I usually address towards the end of the build... I will put the the stock one on it and then the solo type and stand back and see what one rubs me the right way... I like having options for it though..

Comment

Hey Bribird. Glad to see you are back. Looks like you've got a nice starting point for another build. Can't wait to see what you come up with for this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X