PWC help-Suzuki engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PWC help-Suzuki engine

Hey Guys, I just got this PWC for the acceptable price of only $0. and change. 1997 Tigershark 640, Suzuki engine, 2 stroke.
    All cleaned up, but the engine don't turn over. Just the solenoid clicking.
    I have a manual ordered, but feel free to give me your opinions on what to do next.
    The first thing I considered was that the engine seized up, but I put a rod down the spark plug hole and it was easy to push the piston down.
    I'm thinkin' I should take the starter off and see if it spins, but it looks like the water pump has to come off too and that means a new gasket.
    Let me know, thanks.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Jump the starter solonoid to spin the engine. As long as it isn't siezed that should work.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK, good idea…

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Jump the starter solonoid to spin the engine. As long as it isn't siezed that should work.
      OK Ed, good suggestion and after some naps on the couch I figured out a good way to do that. I got it wired directly from the battery but with a switch in the pos. The starter is only giving a weak-faint snok sound when it gets juice, I only give it a short jolt. Because the sound is so weak, my impression is that the starter is not working at all.
      I'm thinking the starter is bum, but I'll wait for the manual to come so I can read the trouble shooting guide before I buy a new starter.
      This boat had a busted bilge pump too, so the starter must have gotten submerged more than once, and that could have done it in.
      Thanks.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

If the parts are available you could rebuild the starter. Not much to them, actually.

Comment

Check with www.stockers.com I would bet they have starter parts for it..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Yep, they have the starter for $120 and the repair kit for $20. Take your pick.

Comment

New battery I assume.

Make sure all the battery connections, those at the starter solenoid, and starter all all tight after cleaning them up. I've been sitting in the middle of the lake a few times with a no starting machine a year old. Pretty much bites, but 9 times out of 10 it was just the connections.

PWC starters are meant to be subjected to water, but a 10+ old boat might need some TLC. Depending on the PO and who they allowed to drive the boat, young drivers especially, if it doesn't start the starter usually gets a good beating by the operator.

Lack of rust on the fasteners and other components in the engine compartment, and lack of scratches, and fading of the seat and soft parts. Shoot, doesn't look like it has seen much abuse/use at all.

For a 97' that's a real clean boat!

E
              Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

New site for me…

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                Thanks, that looks like a good source for all kinds of bikes too!

Comment

The battery's got to be replaced…

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                  New battery I assume.

Make sure all the battery connections, those at the starter solenoid, and starter all all tight after cleaning them up. I've been sitting in the middle of the lake a few times with a no starting machine a year old. Pretty much bites, but 9 times out of 10 it was just the connections.

PWC starters are meant to be subjected to water, but a 10+ old boat might need some TLC. Depending on the PO and who they allowed to drive the boat, young drivers especially, if it doesn't start the starter usually gets a good beating by the operator.

Lack of rust on the fasteners and other components in the engine compartment, and lack of scratches, and fading of the seat and soft parts. Shoot, doesn't look like it has seen much abuse/use at all.

For a 97' that's a real clean boat!

E
                  Thanks, I want to have a few more tries at that starter before I condemn it, and I did try it with a good battery from my GS1100G.
                  Yes they do have a teen boy, plus the dad was an A type for sure.

Comment

Starter siezed…

Well the original starter's armature bearing is seized up.
                    I got a good used starter for $50, spins good, but the starter drive assembly is spinning free too, it's supposed to engage the flywheel. Bummer…
                    It looks like the PO couldn't start the engine, so he just kept spinning the starter until the assembly busted, and then kept on until the starter bearing seized up as well.
                    From lookin' at the service manual, the flywheel's got to come off, so the starter drive can come out. I got to buy a starter drive too.
                    Later, not this weekend.
                    Bill

Comment

Damn boat works great!

Starter issues fixed, so I dropped the boat on the ramp!
                      Seems I took for granted the trailer used a 1-7/8" ball, NO, it takes a 2 inch! So the trailer came off as I was backing the car down the ramp, then the car would not hold the load and was creaking down to roll over me! I got a chuck under the wheel but because I'm a green, I some how dragged the boat up onto the ramp.
                      No Damage, I worked the boat down into the water with a 2x6 plank and I tie the boat to the pier.
                      OK, some friendly guys show up and want to help: Wish you were here 10 minutes ago!
                      Cool! So the boat starts up and runs great, I'm good with engines.
                      I take it down the river and out onto Lake Michigan. It runs great, but the water's too choppy to give the motor any better than 1/2 power because I'm bouncing around like a cowboy. It's got plenty of power!
                      No more problems, that was the first launch and we survived a few little problems.
                      Tested and ready to list on Ebay!

Comment

Working...
                      X